[eDebate] Paperless

Brad Hall hallbrad
Wed Jun 24 16:42:22 CDT 2009

I actually think that #1 is moot (or a benefit to paperless debating) --
while the points made by "Abers" are fair, there will be reduced time in: a)
finding that missing card that ends up under a tub and had to be printed off
again anyway, b) judges that use computers can all look at the cards at the
same time. This seems minor now, but consider the length of elim days,
particularly at the NDT when there are 5-7 judge panels. It is often
difficult to get too far into the decisionmaking process without reading
some key pieces of evidence, a process that can be sped up by putting it on
a jump drive/printing multiple copies. The other big time saver: not having
to move tubs between buildings. For example, at the Texas tournament, you
won't have to push your tubs up that giant hill in between the business
school and the six pack (which I'm pretty sure is named after Chris Thiele).
This is a giant pain -- borrowing carts, finding the cart Burshteyn stole
from you, moving to the building, looking for an elevator, carrying your
tubs up the stairs, etc. This should significantly speed up debates and
ensure they start on time (Harris excepted, of course).

#2 and #3 are dependent on the specifics of when teams exchange cards, etc,
the details of which I don't know, so (unlike my decisions) I won't act like
I know what I'm talking about. I would think it prudent to carry a small
laptop printer for special circumstances such as a curmudgeonly judge.

#4 is true on the need for three laptops, but not having to print/copy
files, ship/check tubs, rent larger/extra vans, buy supplies like carts and
printer ink, should make this a cost saver when you consider the rapidly
falling price of laptops. At best, it's moot and quality of life should be
improved by not having to move tubs and file/refile evidence (which I hear
is a pain but never personally experienced).

One very minor concern: if you transfer the cards to the other team
pre-speech, how frequently do debaters forget to "mark" the card on the
other team's e-copy?

Say la v indeed,

Brad

--