[eDebate] Paperless

Tripp Rebrovick trebrovick
Thu Jun 25 15:57:54 CDT 2009

I want to echo what Jennings said:
I would never be able to read cards off of a computer effectively (for
example, I can't even imagine giving a 2ac against 9 off on a computer when
the decision of what cards to read and how many is made on the fly), but
just printing out the speech before you start seems completely easy.

For each tournament, a team would need: a) one printer, b) no more than one
ream of paper, c) maybe one small expando to put a 1ac and some 1nc shells
(stuff that would be printed out several times anyway). That's about it.

It seems like a perfectly reasonable middle ground, and solves the biggest
"in-round" debate concerns like the one's Jennings' mentioned (marking
evidence, cross-x about un-underlined parts of the card, and it also
prevents teams from looking ahead) but it ALSO solves the problem of a major
meltdown of the computer *during *the speech.

Also: there is no need for a viewing computer (and that money could be saved
to buy the printer), and, perhaps, only one computer would be needed per
team, if that was necessary. Sure, sometimes both partners might really need
the computer, but that seems true of files anyway, and obviously it would be
a team preference.

Sure it's not entirely paperless, but it's a pretty big step.

My thoughts,
tripp