[eDebate] Reflections on Loon Lake

Kuswa, Kevin kkuswa
Sat Jun 27 13:27:08 CDT 2009

I would echo this from the UR debater who attended--from what I heard from Ashley it was the most amazing interaction with debate and the community she's ever had.  Huge thanks to jackie, nicole, and everyone else involved.   AWESOME!

kevin

From: edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com [edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Spurlock [spurlockdown at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:39 PM
To: edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: [eDebate] Reflections on Loon Lake

The first Call of the Loon is in the books.  Since we were a little
secluded, I want to let everyone know just how amazing this little
camp was.

First of all, I want to give some thanks:

Jackie ? He worked so hard on this.  From generating engaging critical
strategy ?lectures,? to waking up at 5am to make breakfast, to
building campfires?. Not to mention the massive amount of time going
into setting up the camp?. Jackie rocked this out.

Nicole ? I can?t thank you enough for setting this all up.  Everyone
owes her a HUGE thanks for letting us into this place that means so
much to her and her family.  The preparations for these things
sometimes go unnoticed or underappreciated.  Seriously, Nicole
stressed for months for that amazing week we spent there ? and it paid
off in a big way!

Toni ? Special thanks to Toni for keeping us on track and helping with
every aspect whether it was helping small groups or letting us in on
the secrets of critical debating and an amazing performance of a
unique kind of ?yoga.? :)

Vince ? I had a great time hanging with you.  My queer theory library
is about to increase massively in size and quality.  Your help and
expertise was exactly what I needed to become a better debater and a
better advocate.  That shit was hot, man.

Nader ? The things you did at Long Beach inspired me to debate in
college.  It was an honor to be able to work with you ? so many
productive conversations, so many new perspectives.  You are the shit.
 I can?t thank you enough.

There are many more thanks I could go through but suffice it to say
that everyone at the Loon were amazing and helped me as a person and
as a debater.

Now that thanks are out of the way it?s time to hype the camp.  I
can?t express how fucking cool this was.  Not only are we on a lake,
able to go out on boats and kayaks, hike up mountains, drink fresh
spring water and eat 3 AWESOME home cooked meals per day, but we also
got one of the most valuable ?alternative? debate experiences that
have ever been offered.

The ?structure? was great: We had a large group discussion in the
mornings (starting on Indian time) and then in the afternoon/evening
we had smaller groups.  These groups were entirely generated by the
students attending.  This is one of the best parts of the loon that I
have never experienced at any other camp: flexibility.   There is no
template for alternative debate styles ? so we adapted to what the
students needed and wanted.  And when we got burnt out on debate, it
was kayak time.

For those who think that there wouldn?t be any argument production:
every camper produced a 1AC and a 1NC.  For such a small camp, that?s
a hell of a lot of arguments.  And as most critical teams know, people
often don?t even catch up if you build a strategic 1A/1N.

I could go on and on, but if you are interested in attending the camp
next year, be sure to talk to me or one of the other Loons.  This was
the best debate camp experience I?ve ever had the pleasure of being
part of.

Special thanks also go to all of the Loons.  Your diverse perspectives
made me both laugh and cry over that amazing week and I am changed
from it.  You were all phenomenal ? I couldn?t have asked for a better
group.

Thank you so much and I hope to see you all next year at Loon Lake!

Spurlock

---P.S. Atomic Balls 1NC FTW!