[eDebate] Problems with Paperless

Aaron Hardy spoon_22
Sun Jun 28 00:14:25 CDT 2009

Just a couple comments re: Joe's well-placed concerns:

1)  Not giving what was actually read -- What you're describing is
obviously totally unacceptable.  If you're describing a Whitman team
from this past year, please backchannel me so I know who's head to
crack.  If not, it's certainly the type of thing anyone should feel
comfortable both chastising my debaters for openly and asking me to deal
with (harshly) post-facto should it happen in the future.  Your
suggestion for how this process should be done (jumping just the
expected cards) is exactly how my teams have been instructed to do it --
apologies if they deviated from that at any point.

2)  Novices -- To be honest, Whitman does not have a large (read,
existent) novice contingent, although some of our inexperienced high
school debaters come pretty close -- so I admit that I can't speak very
directly to these concerns.  But, from working with the least
experienced parts of my team and with some high school novices learning
paperless, I'd say my experience so far has run in the opposite
direction.  Even just from teaching at high school debate camps, I think
the jump in technological sophistication for the average 18 year old has
skyrocketed in the past five years.  Certainly, the younger students on
my team are on average much better at using a laptop and quickly
digesting electronic info than most of my older students.

Obviously, that's not a fair comparison -- because you're saying that
those novices still do net better with paper than a laptop.  That very
well may be true -- but I still remain optimistic that it's an arena
where they can pretty quickly adapt or be taught to use a system when
just starting debate that they can be just as comfortable with as
scissors and tape. Maybe printing some files for novices to use in
drills and make notes on to help them internalize arguments helps bridge
this gap?  I certainly agree that reading off a monitor for a long time
can be tiring -- I frequently wish I could go back to doing exclusively
book work.

3)  Access -- Even if debaters don't have a personal laptop, I still
think the economics work out in favor of paperless.  If the university
has to provide 3 laptops per team, it could feasibly cost in the
ballpark of $750 to outfit a team.  Those laptops can pretty reasonably
last 2-3 years, perhaps longer.  I think it's difficult to assume that
you can travel a team with paper for less than $400 per year.  If
keyboards differ or people aren't good at typing, it's just a skill they
have to learn -- probably not that much different than learning how to
keep 4 tubs filed and organized, and more likely to be a skill 18 year
olds have a jump on...

best,

hardy