[eDebate] Electronic communication was re disclosure

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Thu Mar 12 09:29:24 CDT 2009

Martins post seemed a good jumping off point for a discussion i have been
having a lot lately.

Most rounds i watch have 4 laptops and 5 cell phones, i always see debaters
on aim gchat and facebook during debates both in rounds and now as someone
who is home most weekends from afar. I have seen status messages which
indicates strategy and chatted with debaters and judges(not towson debaters,
just random friends in random debates) about what is going on in the debate.
Because i am way old school i dont give advice....but is this norm as widely
followed as the disclosure norms or is it circumvented by the competitive
desire of competition. I think most of us have given up on the notion that
the internet won't be accessed during rounds, but what does it mean for
norms not widely discussesed since that became such an easy possibility?

I hear the ada is considering a clamp down on this...i can't even imagine
how that would work in a world where phones and cameras and ipods can access
chatting programs, you can shut down the laptops sure, but are you gonna jam
the cell signals?

What if the norm was open communication?

Here are a few arguments
1) We cannont assume it is not happening now, we can only take stances
against it and hope the same students and coaches who play games with
disclosure for competitive edge stop shaddy behavior at the begining of the
1ac. The rules we have to stop it are simultaneously less and more
eneforceable....More in that there is a record of it whereas before if you
ran into your coach in the bathroom no one could tell if you where talking
about  T O or T Nearly all...Less in that we dont have the mechanisims to
access and utilize that digital trail in order to enforce the rules at any
capacity to track all of it that possibly go on.

If it is happeneing now the more ethical are at a disadvanatage.

2)Some debaters and coaches will find it super useful and others
wont....pretty much the same as in the status quo...teams with fewer
coaching resources find ways to beat debaters with a ton of coaches...its
not like just the schools with big coaching staffs would take advantage of
this, so would smaller schools with one coach...i know streches small school
coaches even further...but i bet alot of them would take the option happily
if it where presented to them, and if not those teams are already used to
debating with those coaches.

3)Norms that require utilization of technology increase access to
technology...I know the first reaction of many of you will be what about
those folks without computers...my short answer is that is the uniqueness
not the impact...longer answer, institutions have better access to computing
technology than individuals, a tech friendly norm that effects competitive
ability is likely to increase institutional allocations of computers to
debate teams...There is a norm now, it has increased access both individualy
and institutionaly, adding more competitive incentive is more likely than
not to further the levels of access.