[eDebate] Prefs at CEDA Nats

Gary Larson Gary.N.Larson
Tue Mar 24 20:58:12 CDT 2009

Given that many of you are going through the arduous task of filling out pref sheets for the NDT, let me supply some info regarding pref assignments at CEDA that some of the data geeks might find helpful.

I'm providing 4 attachments (as usual I'll answer questions about the data)

1)  A graph of the frequency distribution of all ordinal ranks assigned at CEDA.  There were 125 judges - the worst assignment to a team out of the tournament was 82.  The goal was to not assign any judges in the bottom 1/3 (7-9 in 9 cats). That goal was met.

2) A graph of the frequency distribution of all ordinal ranks assigned to the 73 teams that had 4 or more wins going into round 8.  The goal was to not assign any judges in the bottom 1/2 to any team in the tournament (including presets).  That goal was also met.  It should also be noted that 1 was the most frequent rank.  Not surprisingly there was a cluster around 12-13.  The average mutuality difference was 10 ordinal ranks (8%).

3) A spreadsheet of all of the ranks given by team by round, with averages by team and by round disaggregated by rounds where teams were at the break, above the break (including presets), teams already eliminated, and the total of rounds "in" the tournament and "out" of the tournament.  Since the team identity is masked, the green rows indicate teams 4-3 or better after 7 and red teams that were out by that point.  It is notable that the average for rounds in the tournament was 21.25 out of 125 and all rounds overall was 22.71.

4) A spreadsheet that translates ordinal ranks into 9-category equivalents with the same data as sheet 3.  It is notable that the average for rounds in the tournament was 2.01 and all rounds overall was 2.12.