[eDebate] "Fairness - white ppl guilty until proven innocent"?

bandana organizer lifer-hat
Tue Mar 17 15:15:47 CDT 2009

Apparently (non-list emails inform me) this is not an error. I assumed it was a misquote, since I can't imagine a context in which the sentence in this subject line could be applied to any other ethnic or religious group without a total vocal rejection by this community.

Can you imagine any of these being said in a round?

"Fairness - Irish ppl guilty until proven innocent"
"Fairness - bisexual ppl guilty until proven innocent"
"Fairness - Francophone ppl guilty until proven innocent"
"Fairness - fat ppl guilty until proven innocent"
"Fairness - brown ppl guilty until proven innocent"
"Fairness - Catholic ppl guilty until proven innocent"
"Fairness - vegan ppl guilty until proven innocent"

Here, again, is the context available on the wiki:

http://opencaselist.wikispaces.com/page/diff/Pre+Wake+08+Towson+JM+Adam+Jackson+%26+Deverick+Murray+Neg/46612713

Maybe it's some sort of joke ("White people drive like this, but black people drive like this!").

Also, maybe my imagination isn't very good, but I can't imagine a context in which this sort of claim isn't false, hurtful, demeaning, and reductionist.