[eDebate] Law of the Sea -- caution encouraged

Mike Kearney kearney.debate
Thu Mar 19 19:09:16 CDT 2009

(same article)

Republicans seem to be divided on the issue, with some agreeing that it
would help the navy, while others believe it would give the UN control over
our seas and military actions. But the treaty simply sets up a dispute
resolution system, the International Seabed Authority (ISA), that arbitrates
when two countries disagree over the rights of ships in their waters. Right
now, the U.S. has no voice on the ISA, meaning that if nations wanted to
close their waters to American ships, there would hardly be a peaceful
recourse. Diplomatic tensions flared last week when naval ships passed
through the South China Sea, irking fishermen who proceeded to lower their
trousers. As laughable as it seems on its face, it resulted in tough
negotiations with China. Thus, the need for LOST is clear: if the U.S. was
party to the treaty, the navy would have been able to sail through the South
China Sea without causing an international incident. With piracy on the rise
and wars still raging in Iraq and Afghanistan, being able to move aircraft
carriers and submarines is crucial to maintaining safety on the seas.

throw in a little Nikkei Weekly 95, bingo bango, extinction.