[eDebate] professionalism

omar guevara oguevara
Sun Mar 22 22:57:26 CDT 2009

aside from andy's D (which is totally reasonable - prep time is personal time), I'm not sure what the O is for such a committee.  i know the vote is done and all, but aside from the then veil of litigation mitigation (which might be a votable net benefit, I don't know), what exactly is the purpose of the endeavor?

furthermore, pref sheets solve concerns of adjudicator professionalism better than any standing organization committe could ever hope to achieve.  folks who are bad for the pedagogical experience of my students (the ballot aside), don't judge WSU.  i know many old time directors who feel the same way.

the "problem" that some folks saw was a bill-type scenario - an ugly interaction, at a tournament, but outside the confines of pref sheet solvency.  some believe this is ground that justify the current course.

that - i guess - is what the professionalism committee would be primarily concered with.  although to be honest, I doubt the committee could craft anything more than my employer (and yours) already require from directors, coaches, and other educators.

but in the quest to find a purpose and rationale for the committe, let us here hope that the committe does not get "mission creep" and start embarking on adventures best settled by the norms and practices of the community.

the best of intentions and unintended consequences...murphy's law...blowback....the gambler's paradox...call it what you will...

OG

Omar G Guevara II
Director of Forensics
Department of Communication
College of Arts & Humanities
Weber State University
Ogden, Utah

801.626.6220 (Office)
801.668.6910 (Cell)

Oguevara at hotmail.com
Oguevara at weber.edu

PLEASE VISIT: WWW.WEBERDEBATE.COM

> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:27:51 -0600
> From: andy.edebate at gmail.com
> To: delliott at kckcc.edu; malgorthewarrior at hotmail.com; edebate at ndtceda.com
> Subject: Re: [eDebate] professionalism
>
> Smiley faces aside ... There is something called prep time during
> which judges can do stuff other than think deeply about the debate
>
> On 3/22/09, Darren Elliott <delliott at kckcc.edu> wrote:
> > Professionalism--"Paying attention to a break round between Emory and
> > Idaho State one might be scheduled to judge at the National Tournament,
> > as opposed to say, posting to edebate, playing minesweeper, checking the
> > latest American Idol results on the internet."
> >
> > : )
> > chief

> > i tried to make the committee, but chief said CEDA wasn't ready for my
> > level of professional commitment.....
> >
> > malgor

Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail?.