[eDebate] The Greg Paulus Rule/Re: The Graduation Amendment & Why We Shouldn't Redshirt Debaters

Noah Chestnut noahchestnut
Fri May 1 02:29:02 CDT 2009

Where did we go wrong? ?The fifth year rule is bad for
college debate. ?There is a growing expectation among undergraduates that
you should debate for five years. ?Recent success is usually emulated and
having three fifth years in the semis of the?NDT& a fifth year as the
top speaker will only spur more students to consider opting in for one more
shot at glory. ?We all know certain students are now actively planning not
to go to a certain NDT in order to debate during their fifth year. ?This
is promoting a culture of academic laziness. ?You can get away with
redshirting football players because of low academic expectations. ?Debaters
should hold themselves to the highest academic expectations. ?It is
disheartening to see the community norm become so immature and near-sighted.
?In a time when we need to defend this activity, we should focus on
promoting it for its academic merits. ?We are the next generation of
jurists, policy wonks, political strategists and educators. ?I loved my
time debating, but I always understood that the activity was more important
that my participation in it. ?The fifth year rule is simply selfish.

?

The solution should not be to allow students to debate in grad/law
school. ?The solution is for debaters to realize that?they are
students first, debaters second. ?Coaches should hold their students
to a higher standard.??If you love debate and want to stay in the
activity, coach. ?You can even go to grad school and coach. ?I'm
fully behind an amendment to lobby for more grad programs to offer funding for
debate assistant. ?Grad school is about being a student first and
foremost. ?Creating a rule that lets you debate in grad school will just
lead to more individuals who view themselves as debaters first, students
second, try to get into graduate programs. ?

?

Let's be realistic. ?If you want to do well in grad school,
you don't have the time to debate at a high level. ?You can be a good arg
coach, but you can't excel in the classroom and do the work needed to compete
for a first round. ?If you can, then you are in a crappy grad school and
once again we are back to the problem of low academic standards for debaters.
?

?

Debate is a privilege. ?Respect it.
Note - I never check this e-mail so don't be offended if I don't respond to a backchannel.