[eDebate] ACLU disappointed, ready to withdraw support for obama

Old Strega oldstrega
Wed May 13 21:29:08 CDT 2009

defections en masse in advance of 2012.    "bush bad" has about six months of shelf life left on it.    more mistakes than significant change.      stroube was right BEFORE THE ELECTION.   obama has virtually no substance.  sorry, your hope was manipulated so that you would ignore telltale signs of these predictable outcomes.    you didn't want those signs to be true and it skewed your judgment.    you were wrong.  obama is mediocre at best.      time to start talking about a third party, again, and a candidate who is not obsessed with publishing their stupid emails and talking about their boring saturday night dates -- a voyeurism magnet.   why were you so blind before the election?    will obama be known in history textbooks as the "dreamcrusher"?      seems likely after 100+ days of failure.
http://www.aclu.org/safefree/torture/39587prs20090513.html
Obama Administration Reverses Promise To Release Torture Photos (5/13/2009)

Decision Betrays Commitment To Transparency And The Rule Of LawFOR IMEMDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: (212) 549-2666; media at aclu.org
NEW YORK ? The Obama administration announced today that it is reversing its promise to make public photos depicting detainee abuse by U.S. personnel overseas. The Department of Defense had told a federal judge that it would release a "substantial number" of photos in response to a court ruling in an American Civil Liberties Union Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.
The following can be attributed to Anthony D. Romero, Executive Director of the ACLU:
"The Obama administration's adoption of the stonewalling tactics and opaque policies of the Bush administration flies in the face of the president's stated desire to restore the rule of law, to revive our moral standing in the world and to lead a transparent government. This decision is particularly disturbing given the Justice Department's failure to initiate a criminal investigation of torture crimes under the Bush administration.
"It is true that these photos would be disturbing; the day we are no longer disturbed by such repugnant acts would be a sad one. In America, every fact and document gets known ? whether now or years from now. And when these photos do see the light of day, the outrage will focus not only on the commission of torture by the Bush administration but on the Obama administration's complicity in covering them up. Any outrage related to these photos should be due not to their release but to the very crimes depicted in them. Only by looking squarely in the mirror, acknowledging the crimes of the past and achieving accountability can we move forward and ensure that these atrocities are not repeated.
"If the Obama administration continues down this path, it will betray not only its promises to the American people, but its commitment to this nation's most fundamental principles. President Obama has said we should turn the page, but we cannot do that until we fully learn how this nation veered down the path of criminality and immorality, who allowed that to happen and whose lives were mutilated as a result. Releasing these photos ? as painful as it might be ? is a critical step toward that accounting. The American people deserve no less."