[eDebate] The topic process and legislative matters - onto the summer meetings

Gordon Stables stables
Thu May 14 15:26:33 CDT 2009

Thanks to everyone who took part in the recent CEDA balloting. We
selected the new controversy for the 09-10 season, reducing nuclear
weapons, and we approved a number of legislative changes to CEDA's
governing documents. We have made some good progress, including
allowing the creation of a single eligibility form for both CEDA and
the NDT, allowing greater participation in the selection of the
student representative to the topic selection committee, and increased
the transparency of how our community votes. We also finally took a
long overdue step and approved the redistricting of several CEDA
regions. For the first time in many years, regional boundaries reflect
the programs that make up those communities.

We also owe a great deal of thanks to the many authors who made it
possible to have such good options for the topic. We are very happy
that our alums and current CSIS staff Jessica and Chris provided an
option that so many folks are interested in debating. We also very
much appreciate that Toni, Steve, Vik, and Ryan put in a lot of work
to give us a strong slate of options.

Even beyond new legislation, the process works well when everyone can
appreciate what is happening, and even when a particular vote may go
against you, you can take part in a healthy discussion. As the recent
discussion of the failed amendments illustrates, we have a great deal
of interest in the matter of student eligibility as well as the role
of the CEDA National Tournament. These conversations will continue and
I encourage folks not to lose sight of other suggested ideas to
improve our community practices.

We now move ahead in several directions. The Topic Selection Committee
will immediately begin dividing up the controversy and exploring
potential wording options. We will need community input to complete
this task and if you are interested, please let me know. We will
develop an agenda several days before the Topic Meetings that lists
all of the proposed types of resolutions under consideration.

At the same time, the organization will continue to work toward the
Debate Summit and CEDA Summer Business Meetings. There is still time
to join one of the working groups for the Summit and play a role in
the shaping of our collective future. We have groups working on
argumentative practices, job security, tenure and promotion and many
other areas.

We are also still soliciting items for the agenda of the business
meeting. We will be discussing a number of near-term issues but I want
to know what items this community sees as most important. There will
be a great deal more to discuss but I am very interested in our
efforts to help member schools made the most of this difficult
economic climate. I am also eager to advance the discussion about
adapting with new forms of technological opportunities.

On a related note, we are also not far away from the day when all
organizational business will be handled directly (and only) by our
website  and other similar platforms. I encourage everyone to take a
moment and register for the site so you can keep up with information
(you can subscribe to the site as an RSS feed and you can also receive
emails through it).

We will also be opening the conversation to potential hosts for the
2011 CEDA Nationals. We will not be voting on proposals at this
meeting, but if you part of a program who is potentially interested in
hosting in 2011, please let us know.

All of the information for the topic, the business meetings, and the
summit will be updated at http://www.cedadebate.org/  We are lucky to
have Wake Forest and Al Louden hosting our meetings and we invite you
to join us in Winston Salem.

Thanks again. Best of luck to everyone as your academic year comes to
a close and at the beginning of another busy summer.

Gordon

Incoming CEDA President and Chair CEDA Topic Selection Committee

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.
Director of Debate & Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication
University of Southern California