[eDebate] 5 point font: pffft

Jason Russell jasonlrussell1
Fri May 15 08:57:30 CDT 2009

The lady doth protest too much. Of course 5 point font is meant to save that
1/10th of a piece of paper, but it simultaneously serves the purpose of
making large parts of evidence unreadable for context. The academic analogy
does not hold because professors/other academics have as much time as they'd
like to judge the veracity of your ellipsed work, but debaters in a debate
round, and even judges, do not. The rest of the "arguments" about this
proposition amount to mocking the "logical conclusions" of regulating font
sizes; I don't see how these hilarious jokes do anything to aid the
conversation about the importance of open context. For the most part,
ellipsing evidence, cutting single sentences out of paragraphs or sections
from paragraphs, or otherwise removing evidence from its logical minimum
context is considered anathema to god debate. I'm not sure why we consider
the practice of making the context wholly unreadable to at least portions of
the community ok. 5 point font looks essentially like a solid line to me. I
could decipher it as a judge; I'd never have the time as a debater. Reducing
un-underlined portions of cards for your ease in file size management should
give way to the greater goal of debate fairness and education. Over the
course of the year, using 8 point vs 5 point font would add, what, 100 pages
to your files? C'mon.