[eDebate] Hester and Nuclear Topic

Josh jbhdb8
Mon May 18 12:56:07 CDT 2009

Hello,

First of all, Kudos to Mike Hester for some really good writing lately.  His
point, later compared to Harrison Bergeron effects by Gordon, about
unintended consequences of forcing wordings has been borne out in several
topic anomolies over the years (Con Con CP on Courts anyone?).  This post
asking about the role of a vote for the topic area also asks very good
questions and implies some others.

For a long time, as the topic committee has become more intense and
involved, I have tended to think of the paper as a rough idea that the
committee has the mandate to polish and form (hopefully into a diamond).  In
other words, when I cast Michigan's vote for Nuclear Policy, I was
considering the paper as advisory only.  For instance, while the paper was
excellent, the authors admitted that they ran out of time when it came to
wordings.  In addition, in the few days since the vote, multiple valid
questions have been raised about the one simple wording in the paper.  To
consider the wording in the paper as a "must include" could stick us
with many other "unintentional consequences."  The area paper authors do not
have a group of people tasked to just researching out all the possible ways
to word the topic.  The area paper authors do not have a room full of the
best and brightest coaches and debaters looking for any mistakes.

I agree that it would be good, for a year or two, to try out some topics
with more Affirmative flexibility.  I agree that wordings have often shoe
horned some bad baggage into topics that could have been better.  But I also
know, that after weeks of hard wording work, and a meeting with a TON of
great minds working hard, the wordings that come out generally have been
superior to just accepting the wordings in area papers.  This is not an
indictment of area paper authors...I don't see the point of area papers to
be writing topics.  I think the job of wording is solely the purview of the
elected topic committee (as long as it remains democratic and people's
opinions in the community and of the area authors' are taken seriously).

All of that said, I do have two small concerns about this topic:

1) Obama will almost certainly "reduce reliance on nuclear weapons" in the
sq.  Generally, I take the position that topics should force the affirmative
to do something controversial and opposed to the views of the likely
legislative outcomes.  Jessica et al deal with this in the paper by saying
that the decisions will likely be made after the topic is
debated....However, I think that there is a decent chance that some of this
stuff begins to move at least at the stage of policy declaration pretty
soon.  Usually, this can be overcome, but......

2) This is, as written, an overwhelmingly affirmative topic.  I agree we
should have MORE topics that allow affirmative creativity (Massey et al) and
are a little broader for the Affirmative.  However, this is the opposite
extreme.  The literature base on CTBT, No First Use, De-Alerting, NPT
credibility, Disarm, and Arms Control in general are OVERWHELMINGLY
affirmatively biased.  Aside from Dick Cheney and the Neo Cons NOBODY is
against these things except in part.

-- But what about the pics - the reason Hester et al wants Disarm as
an option is that the cards about symbolic exceptions are much better than
the net benefits to the pics.  On the actual arms control agreements and
changes in doctrine the same is true.  In addition, if you all dont remember
the CTBT debates - the breadth of affirmative add-on ground that CPs cannot
capture is MASSIVE.

-- Heritage writes good cards - yes, and all the think-tanks that support
the proposals have had 20 years to catch up and evolve past their
arguments.  Every liberal defense author just had 8 years of the Bush
Doctrine...trust me, no matter how fast you can read your 200 signal of
appeasement cards...the turns are mostly better and deeper. More important,
to most of us, the neocon argument got destroyed by everything that happened
after Iraq....Even Frum has been apologetic in public appearances.  This is
maginfied by that these DAs will likely be non-unique at the signal level if
Obama declares anything about our policy etc.

Now, do not get me wrong, I voted for this topic. It was a great topic
paper.  But lets not just run headlong into unintended consequences of a
different sort.  What we dont want, on either side, is major national
tournaments being won just on the flip of a coin.  Lets think before we
leap,

Good luck to the topic committee and thanks to the authors of the area
paper!

Josh