[eDebate] Official Job Announcement--University of Minnesota

David Cram Helwich cramhelwich
Fri May 29 10:31:50 CDT 2009

Greetings!

The University of Minnesota seeks an Assistant Debate Coach for the 2009/10
academic year. The application process is online, and a full job description
and access to the application page can be found at:
https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1243609422312

I know that this announcement comes rather late in the hiring season, so we
hope to start reviewing application materials shortly. I strongly encourage
any interested candidates to submit their applications as soon as possible
As always, I am more than happy to answer any questions via backchannel.

The University of Minnesota is committed to fielding a debate program that
melds competitive excellence with a commitment to student achievement and
civic engagement. The team is strongly supported by the administration,
affording extensive competitive opportunities on regional and national
circuits. We have a large and talented group of new and returning students
that is eager for your advice and assistance in achieving their competitive,
academic and professional goals.

I greatly enjoy our department's working environment, and appreciate the
high degree of comity among the faculty and staff. The Twin Cities are a
fantastic place to live and work, offering all of the amenities of a major
city (arts, culinary, nightlife, etc), coupled with access to a wide array
of outdoor recreational opportunities.

A full job description follows.

best,
dch

David Cram Helwich
Director of Debate
University of Minnesota

Candidates should meet the following criteria:
Required Qualifications: MA or MS degree in Communication Studies or a
related area with college teaching experience (or equivalent with
college-age students) required. Travel is required.
Preferred: PhD, M.Div or JD with appropriate teaching or training
experience. Budget, student recruitment, and administrative supervision
experience; excellent organizational and time management skills.
Demonstrated commitment to diversity.

Responsibilities include:
*assisting in planning the team budget;
*traveling with the team to, and judging at, debate competitions;
*completing paperwork associated with University travel in a timely fashion;

*recruiting new members to the team;
*working with students in the development of argumentation, research, and
speaking skills;
*coordinating civic engagement opportunities for students;
*assisting with the management of any University-hosted tournaments;
*assisting in the administration of the program.
*teach one undergraduate service course each semester
The successful candidate must be willing to work with students of all
experience levels and non-traditional students. In addition to coaching
duties and assisting with the debate course, the assistant coach will teach
one undergraduate service course each semester.