[eDebate] The Greg Paulus Rule/Re: The Graduation Amendment & Why We Shouldn't Redshirt Debaters

Duane Hyland privethedge
Tue May 5 07:17:06 CDT 2009

HI, Most graudation data points towards 5 years for completion of the undergrad to be the norm, rather than a statistical abnormality as it may have been in the days when I was in school (late 80's) =- and that's across all majors, and students - not just specific to debaters. If 5 years is becoming the norm, then there is no reason why debaters shouldn't be allowed to debate for 5 years.
?
I'm glad the community is making this change.

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that person that he, if he had the power, would be in silencing mankind? If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by??its collision with error." John S. Mill
?Who said Dr. Who isn't Funny: "Rose: You Didn't Have to Kill him! Dalek: "Neither did we need him to live."
Dalek to Cyberman: :"You are Superior to us in one respect." Cyberman: "What is that?" Dalek: "Dying!"