[eDebate] Questioning the Taboo Topic area

ed lee bamadebate
Thu May 7 23:15:30 CDT 2009

Which part of the topic is this not a concern?  "War on Drugs" seems to be the only thing is insulated from the states cp.  THere is actually decent ev on the need for a federal signal for gay marriage but that seems to be it.  Some would argue that the threat of the states cp should not deter us from exploring a new body of literature.  My good friend, Dylan Keenan, would argue that the fact we consider the risk of the states cp to decide this which topic we will spend the next year investigating is one of the major reason the cp is illegitimate.

________________________________
From: "scottelliott at grandecom.net" <scottelliott at grandecom.net>
To: edebate at ndtceda.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:32:49 PM
Subject: [eDebate] Questioning the Taboo Topic area

Not a lengthy discussion. But I do want to raise an issue(s).

Gay marriage--there is not much of a debate on its merits (at least
within the debate community). My issue is that (a) at least five
states as of this post have legalized it and (b) the Supreme Court is
likely to make it a national right under the Full Faith and Credit
Clause using the same lagic it used to overturn miscagenation laws.

It seems as if this sub-area is prone to two bad outcomes:

(a) Most rounds become a state c-plan and/or a Supreme Court C-plan debate or
(b) Affirmatives have all the ground to debate.

Is there going to be a major issue in terms of inherency/uniqueness debates?

Scott