[eDebate] A2 CHIEF RE: New Events

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Sat May 9 03:50:56 CDT 2009

Here is my point...You want revenue streams? You have to be able to nurture,
maintain, and grow them. There are other people with advanced degrees who do
this as a living. Some of them are even in the academy. If you tend to them
after everything else, not only do they risk not flowing very reliability
but they expose you to liability.

If this is a focus of the organization i applaud the move, however it is a
more reliable strategy if the process is devised and maintained by somebody
who does it as their job.

This does not mean fill the ec with technocratic business person, but having
one may not be a bad idea. Aside from being able to plan and make the kind
of deals this amendment suggests, this person could do a lot of the work to
let the ec focus on the things that caused them to run for office...If this
is developing revenue streams im sure the ed would take the help, but if it
is not its not something that you have to worry about.

There is a vast difference between a full time fundraiser, a development
director and an executive director...just as their is between a debaprtment
chair a dean and a provost....i would advise against a full time fundraiser,
but a person who makes ceda go, enables the ec to do what they are
professionaly trained to do, and builds the kind of resources darren says
are the real issues...is probably a lot better than someone who speant 2
weeks of march in wyoming stuck due to their first and second job.

Thats not a pot shot, a low blow, or some other euphamism, its a direct
indictment of your leadership and management.

Andy
PS-Any word on what i should do with the CEDA nats video. I asked you more
than a month ago where you would like me to send the DVD so you could do
something with it (like i don't know make it available to the membership as
promised)