[eDebate] A2 CHIEF RE: New Events

Darren Elliott delliott
Sat May 9 20:08:39 CDT 2009

Andy,

I should probably stop engaging you on these issues.  If the best you got is that I was stuck in a blizzard for 2 days in Wyoming because I made a commitment to 6 kids to take them to a National Tournament and planned our budgeting in a way to make it happen, made sure they got there, got them opportunities that others didnt get, then you are really stretching for ways to indict my leadership and management.  Did you even pay attention to what a great tournament CEDA was?  Or were you in a fog all week?  I mean how much of the planning and budgeting did you do in your role at Towson?  How many of those Baltimore programs did you get to CEDA?  What revenue streams did you nurture and grow to make that happen?

A lot of us with full time jobs, in some cases multiple ones, and families, and committee responsibilities at our institutions, and professional development responsibilities, and professional conference responsibilities, and coaching, and planning, and YES budgeting for our programs, could still run circles (while in a blizzard) around someone who would rather indict the very structure and those that serve it that gives them opportunities to exist in a bizarre little world we call debate and not require so much of them as a thank you.  With virtually none of the responsibilities above, your planning and management skills still dont deserve the ability to even smell the socks of Gordon Stables, Sue Peterson, or Mike Davis--the next 3 people you get to criticize.  But yet we will continue to serve and give you that space to do it.

And frankly until you master the language and quit babbling about things like the "risk of not flowing very reliability" (sic)  but being "exposed to liability" I cant even begin to address the words you have somehow strung together.  It makes my head hurt reading it.  Seriously.

chief

>>> Andy Ellis 05/09/09 3:50 AM >>>
Here is my point...You want revenue streams? You have to be able to nurture, maintain, and grow them. There are other people with advanced degrees who do this as a living. Some of them are even in the academy. If you tend to them after everything else, not only do they risk not flowing very reliability but they expose you to liability.

If this is a focus of the organization i applaud the move, however it is a more reliable strategy if the process is devised and maintained by somebody who does it as their job.

This does not mean fill the ec with technocratic business person, but having one may not be a bad idea. Aside from being able to plan and make the kind of deals this amendment suggests, this person could do a lot of the work to let the ec focus on the things that caused them to run for office...If this is developing revenue streams im sure the ed would take the help, but if it is not its not something that you have to worry about.

There is a vast difference between a full time fundraiser, a development director and an executive director...just as their is between a debaprtment chair a dean and a provost....i would advise against a full time fundraiser, but a person who makes ceda go, enables the ec to do what they are professionaly trained to do, and builds the kind of resources darren says are the real issues...is probably a lot better than someone who speant 2 weeks of march in wyoming stuck due to their first and second job.

Thats not a pot shot, a low blow, or some other euphamism, its a direct indictment of your leadership and management.

Andy
PS-Any word on what i should do with the CEDA nats video. I asked you more than a month ago where you would like me to send the DVD so you could do something with it (like i don't know make it available to the membership as promised)