[eDebate] Graduate school debating & Newnam

Eric Morris ermocito
Sat May 9 22:56:29 CDT 2009

I agree with nearly everything Russell says here, but I do think you can
'gerrymander' (as an undergrad). The CEDA Constitution (Section VII):
"Tournament contestants are eligible to earn points for a maximum of five
different, not necessarily consecutive, academic years."
I don't think the proposed amendment, if passed, creates that much of a
problem, as it would only enable graduate students to compete if they have
only competed in 4 years (or fewer).

I do believe that the "wait and debate later" trick might work for students
who debated 3 or fewer years, but if they coached and judged open, then the
EC might get into the position of trying to decide if judging in open really
DOES end your eligibility. I'm among many who feel it does, although I can
think of at least one case where someone was pushed into judging open
against their preferences that I would think appropriate for an exception.

If they didn't coach and judge during those off years, I'm not sure that
their participation is that concerning to me. I respect that it might be so
for others.

Ermo
MoState