[eDebate] Standards for Evidence

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Mon May 11 10:09:50 CDT 2009

Every time this comes up and we eat our own who take the work they do and
make external public policy arguments a little part of me dies...if
framework arguments are to be believed we are doing tons of policy research
about a given topic as an academic community driven by competition...this is
really cool and when it creates thought that can be shared with the outside
world we should celebrate it as an accomplishment of the activity, not
question the ethics of the person that did it.

If the evidence makes bad arguments ie if you support bioremdiation efforts
in oakland the sri lankans will ask for indias assistance in nuking the
tamils which will then draw in the chinese north koreans and russians and
spur a parkinglot making war between iran and israel....that evidence should
be challenged, not because it comes from a coach but because it sucks and
its dangerous scholarship...

The intent question is interesting to me because it assumes that the intent
of articles not written by coaches is pure...non intrest influenced words
that elucidate some kernal of truth...nearly all academic writting is
written with competitive self interest in mind, as is most professional
journalism, ironicaly the things written with the least self interest, blog
posts, wikipedia, and other user generated content is often looked at with
suspecious eyes, and dismissed by the community.

Just because the interest in this case is in part written toward the debate
community simply means that the debate community should be better at
identifying the place where interest is placed above fair and balanced
journalism...we have a leg up that the non debate rader doesnt have, we know
the context...ive never heard a card written by a debater or a coach that
was unfair or unethical, and justins writting is not that either, can we
please stop villifying anybody who takes the hours upon hours of public
policy research they do and turns it in to something that goes outward?