[eDebate] Standards for Evidence/Skarb

Rahul Jaswa rahul.jaswa
Mon May 11 17:49:32 CDT 2009

The concern here is obviously that a debate coach wrote an article which
said the aff plan froze and deepened recessionary economic condition, trades
off with DOD weapons programs, and stretches military readiness to the
breaking point, all of which can be solved by an advantage counterplan to
purchase commercial beam power from space, which, just for kicks, results in
the aff plan later.

That being said, seriously? The only references cited are a blog called
next100.com, a dialogue on the next century of energy, and a quote from a
DOE report from 1978 which says "every dollar spent on solar satellites will
not be spent on terrestrial research and commercialization." If that's
considered sufficient for a BA history/poli sci, MS poli comm to extrapolate
that to determine DOD deficit spending would collapse the economy, collapse
U.S. readiness, treadoff with critical weapons programs, etc., then by all
means expect I won't be going for the K next year and will instead be
authoring a host of new disads equipped with my berkeley economics
knowledge.

I could go through the article and detail the logical gaps...but the obvious
counterpoint you could make to that is "well, newspapers articles don't
usually report data and are opinionated with lacking evidence." Not only
does this "article" attempt to present itself as a scholarly contribution
(Skarb's qualifications are noted as "independent policy analyst"...is that
what high school debate coaches are nowadays?), newspaper articles are
background checked for accuracy, credibility, and legitimacy.
Thespacereview.com, according to its submission guidelines, filters out
primarily articles on UFOs and Area 51...