[eDebate] Error in team points calculation leads to NDT outround

matt stannard stannardmatt
Mon May 11 18:57:55 CDT 2009

I heart Gary Larson and Rich Edwards!

Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 17:10:37 -0500
From: Gary.N.Larson at wheaton.edu
To: edebate at www.ndtceda.com
Subject: [eDebate]  Error in team points calculation leads to NDT	outround

I hate to deflate a possible scandal but I did a very quick
check on the first instance of ?wrong? calculations and don?t
see a problem.  For Towson JM in 2009, the post suggests that the three
possible interpretations of the rule give 1240, 1240.5 or 1295 as adjusted
totals for Towson.
But looking at the actual results posted, it appears that Towson?s highest ballot was a 58 in
round 8 and their lowest ballot was a 55.5 (either round 1 or round 2).
In either case the adjustment will be 1353-113.5=1239.5, exactly what TRPC
reported.

I?ll go through each of the purported errors tonight
when I get home, but I suspect that ?TeamsPointsBug? misinterprets
the application of the rule.

GARY

Windows Live?: Keep your life in sync.