[eDebate] Error in team points calculation leads to NDT outround

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Mon May 11 19:45:32 CDT 2009

Yeah, but it took him over three hours to verify this stuff.  With the kind of retainer the debate community pays Gary, we should expect better service!

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: matt stannard<mailto:stannardmatt at hotmail.com>
  To: gary.n.larson at wheaton.edu<mailto:gary.n.larson at wheaton.edu> ; edebate at www.ndtceda.com<mailto:edebate at www.ndtceda.com>
  Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 7:57 PM
  Subject: Re: [eDebate] Error in team points calculation leads to NDT outround

  I heart Gary Larson and Rich Edwards!

  Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 17:10:37 -0500
  From: Gary.N.Larson at wheaton.edu<mailto:Gary.N.Larson at wheaton.edu>
  To: edebate at www.ndtceda.com<mailto:edebate at www.ndtceda.com>

  I hate to deflate a possible scandal but I did a very quick check on the first instance of ?wrong? calculations and don?t see a problem.  For Towson JM in 2009, the post suggests that the three possible interpretations of the rule give 1240, 1240.5 or 1295 as adjusted totals for Towson.  But looking at the actual results posted, it appears that Towson?s highest ballot was a 58 in round 8 and their lowest ballot was a 55.5 (either round 1 or round 2).  In either case the adjustment will be 1353-113.5=1239.5, exactly what TRPC reported.

  I?ll go through each of the purported errors tonight when I get home, but I suspect that ?TeamsPointsBug? misinterprets the application of the rule.

  GARY