[eDebate] Standards for Evidence/Skarb

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Mon May 11 19:48:36 CDT 2009

Yeah Bad ev that all to often passes...why does it matter that justin wrote
it its either good ev or bad ev

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Rahul Jaswa <rahul.jaswa at gmail.com> wrote:

> The concern here is obviously that a debate coach wrote an article which
> said the aff plan froze and deepened recessionary economic condition, trades
> off with DOD weapons programs, and stretches military readiness to the
> breaking point, all of which can be solved by an advantage counterplan to
> purchase commercial beam power from space, which, just for kicks, results in
> the aff plan later.

Other cards that win rounds say similarly outlandish things...not sure why
its unethical, just bad ev,

> That being said, seriously? The only references cited are a blog called
> next100.com, a dialogue on the next century of energy, and a quote from a
> DOE report from 1978 which says "every dollar spent on solar satellites will
> not be spent on terrestrial research and commercialization."

A reason that it wouldnt matter if justin skarb or justin timberlake wrote
it..its bad..

> If that's considered sufficient for a BA history/poli sci, MS poli comm to
> extrapolate that to determine DOD deficit spending would collapse the
> economy, collapse U.S. readiness, treadoff with critical weapons programs,
> etc., then by all means expect I won't be going for the K next year and will
> instead be authoring a host of new disads equipped with my berkeley
> economics knowledge.

If you replicated skarbs work it would be a frustrating season for you...but
it wouldnt make you unethical...

Correct, blogs and half the things that begin with http:// are not

> Thespacereview.com, according to its submission guidelines, filters out
> primarily articles on UFOs and Area 51...

Yeah and V:Dare finds laughable that people call them white suprmeacist....
http://bit.ly/IhSdy isn't this a reason to question all of their
submissions(not that an answer is nt available to that question)...i don't
get the uproar...i'll agree that my intial reaction did not have a few
details right, but still...

Two final things...If skustin Jarb wrote the the same thing, everybody would
be trading the cite right now...this is evident by the fact that the article
that was written was writen, if we as a community had higher standards for
warrents the article would have been writen with more warrents, but justin,
a very good coach and an excellent debater, and a decent academic, chose to
write something judges would want to hear (allegedly) and debaters would not
be able to answer...the fact that this is the outcome of that idea says a
whole lot more about what passes as good evidence then it does about justin.

Two...the real problem here is that most of us know that the high school
students we work with and the judges we entrust their education to are not
the rigerous content and truth analyzers we like to pass them off as,
everything i wrote above SHOULD be true, but everybody is put off by this
because we know they aren't and the damage this would cause would force us
to expose that most high school and college debaters would not be able to
point out the bad scholarship within this article, OR MAYBE THEY WOULD and
judges wouldnt buy it...either way, bigger problems than this