[eDebate] more questions about evidence

David Glass gacggc
Wed May 13 07:54:24 CDT 2009

Re Ricky's email:

It seems like the problem with the specific case under discussion is
that the "true author" was disguised.

So even if you do as Ricky says, and cite the evidence "properly", you
are not allowing the opposing team to make an informed indict, because
an accurate cite would be of the fake author.

So perhaps we can amend Ricky's rule as "'Anything can be read as
evidence, as long as it is properly cited', providing that the cite
reflects the actual author."

Gordon Mitchell also pointed out problems with pseudonymous evidence.
In the current case, there was no way to know that the author was
using a pseudonym.  And David Marks has already made clear points
about the use of a pseudonym in this instance.

David Glass
Harvard Debate