[eDebate] more questions about evidence

Richard A. Garner richardgarner
Wed May 13 08:19:02 CDT 2009

Re: Dylan's question:

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Dylan Keenan <dylan.keenan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Halli earlier said: ?sometimes as a judge/observer of debates i forget how
> hard it was as a debater (especially a 1AR) to make source qualification
> indicts during rounds.  being a 1ar in a straight-up debate, it is nearly
> impossible to read EVERY card that the other team reads, much less take
> scarce prep time to look at the quals of each card.?/snip/

Would judges be amenable to this, or just write it off as lazy debating.
> Obviously the aff in this case would have to win that blogs do have
> presumptively now value, but Ricky suggests most judges are "hungry" for
> these arguments. Would non-specific application like this work?

I think that it has to be a little more involved than that, but ... yes,
something like that. And I hear people make that type of argument all the
time. I think that the argument needs to have two components, probably: 1.
An attempt to specify which pieces of evidence and the principle that makes
them citable in toto (a list would be best; another 15 precious seconds, but
well worth it, I would think); 2. But more importantly, a least of positive
and negative warrants as to what is qualified and why that matters. So,
"high school education," ... maybe not relevant, but "no greater context
than we have," maybe more relevant; ultimately, debatable. I think that the
2AR would have a higher burden of elaboration than the 1AR, though within
reasonable and predictable limits.

Re: David's question:

> It seems like the problem with the specific case under discussion is that
> the "true author" was disguised. [insert: refereincing Marburry/Skarb]

I think David's 100% right about his caveat. My posts do not speak to this
question at all, and that's because I don't think that this question about
the deceiptful PRODUCTION of evidence is intrinsic to the standards for
debater's CUTTING said evidence. Any debater would have been well within
their rights to cut the Marburry article, as it was posted to an online
forum with extensive discussion of a specialized topic, and one whose
discursive structure (tonality, rhetorical form, citational structure (i.e.,
an op-ed)) indicated that it was an attempt to produce a thoughtful,
researched position on the subject. That is, of course, unless said
hypothetical debater knew or suspsected that the evidence was fabricated for
the purposes of competitive debating. Against a debater who knew not what
they did, while the indictment of that evidence by the opposing teams would
be legitimate, the debater would not be unethical for reading that evidence
(though they would be if they read it *again*). Shorter: outright cheating
nullifies the criteria for evaluation by subverting them (in this case,
making it *impossible* to properly cite the evidence).

RG