[eDebate] Skarb - and how is this even a debate??

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Wed May 13 09:10:08 CDT 2009

And then sometimes posts like Scott's prove that going through the work to
get a PhD does not by itself prove anything.

1) I was wrong about my application of my general answers to this specific
instance(remember the original post asked general questions about the
practices). This case seems to have aspects that do not fall under the
broader questions Anon asked originally, or at least some of them.
2) My general stance is that if we had higher standards for evidence
evaluation when cutting cards, reading cards and deciding debates on cards,
that this would be less of a problem. If for example we demanded warrents
and supporting evidence from all cards then there would be less of a problem
when a debate coach wrote cards/articles. The problem now is that we have no
standards, which means anybody can write anything, true or not, scholarship
or not, and it gets passed off as such until proven otherwise. This article
seems to be awful assertions, but if our standards where higher and Skarb
wrote actual scholarship (under his name would be nice) I don't see why
there would be a problem.
3)I do not think a stance which says that this is a symptom of a larger
problem ie "Debaters do not apply very strict standards of scrutiny to
"evidence" and thus things like this pass as evidence all the time" is
delusional, nor proof of my anti academic nutjobness.
4)Nutjobs get PhD's all the time, delusional people get higher degrees all
the time, in fact the academy may have much higher thresholds for declaring
people delusional nutjobs than almost any other profession. I would guess
that 70 per cent of the things read in debate rounds would not be sufficient
proof in the grants i am working on this month...This is not to say that 70
per cent of things has no utility, or is worthless, just that Scott's
arguments could use some more precision.