[eDebate] 5 point font

tcram tcram
Thu May 14 14:25:58 CDT 2009

I'm very confused how an alternative would solve Kade's complaint the majority of time.  Say someone cherry picks a few sentence from a paragraph at the beginning of an article and then read sentences from several paragraphs later.  If the text in between is left in 8 point font, there is still a bewildering amount of text that simply cannot be read (even if it is more easily readable) because, as you point out, there's only so much to be done with 10 minutes of prep time.  In a second instance, the paragraphs in between are excluded and the evidence is read as two cards.  The offending material that can distort the evidence is completely excluded and the ever-hurried debater has no surrounding context to allow them to test the evidence in their ever-diminishing prep-time.  It seems in either instance that the harm you indicate is not remedied.

I can understand being annoyed.  Debaters excel at doing tons of shit that annoys judges; it may even be their distinctive mark.  That can include plan/counter-plan texts that have gone through a million revisions on the same sheet of paper, reading giant cards without written tags, saying 'here's more ev on this point' as if thats even an argument, reading T definitions that are on a different sheet with multiple other definitons and nothing to indicate it, flipping evidence to a place where the opponent cannot reach it, etc etc.  The dumbassery never ceases, but is this stuff unethical?

I definitely reduced the un-underlined text on my evidence to 6 size font largely because it allowed me to read better, longer cards that account for the development of an argument through several paragraphs of an article.  I also largely did it because I was on a squad that sometimes required us to make a run to wal-mart a few hours before leaving for the airport so that we (the debaters) could buy reams of paper out of our pocket.  So please remember that that sort of stuff makes a difference to some people out there, even if it is only 'a tiny bit of paper.'

The overall point is that in most instances, people have a reason for doing whatever practice you don't like for a good reason, and those reasons are almost never to be an unethical cheater.  So the solution to frustrations about this practices isn't to be a righteously indignant dick about such things (not to imply this character has been expressed by Kade, who is obviously sweet for the most part).

-Travis

-----Original Message-----
From: edebate-bounces at www.ndtceda.com on behalf of David Cram Helwich
Sent: Thu 5/14/2009 1:58 PM
To: Eric Morris
Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: Re: [eDebate] 5 point font

Our squad uses two font sizes in our cards (9pt arial bold heavy underline
and 5pt arial). We print most of our evidence on high-resolution laser
printers. We are not 'cheating' or engaging in unethical behavior. We do it
for two reasons:
a) It saves paper. A lot of paper--maybe 20% or so per file. In a world
where it costs $160 to fly a full ev set per-tournament, this adds up.
b) somewhat undermining a, it allows us (mostly me) to put more context
around the 'read' evidence. This is bad because...?

Obviously, I agree with Josh et al. that the "Jump Around" style of
highlighting has some serious problems, but this seems like a separate
problem.

dch
umn