[eDebate] New Rule -- Re: To clarify

JP Lacy lacyjp
Fri May 15 02:55:53 CDT 2009

We can fix this all with a new "Lacy rule:"

Format & cite evidence the way you would expect it!!! [Add that to the
other Lacy rule: "disclose what you would expect."]

Format evidence so your opponents can read all of it during speech or
prep time & so judges can read it. Don't hide stuff with your formatting.

[Hint -- *Exactly Zero* of your competitors want to see cards with the
un-underlined portions in tiny font. Follow the principle of
reciprocity: Make your fine print as big as you'd like from your
opponents. Test for font size: If you can't read it out loud "at speed"
without practice because its too small, its too small! ]

Aim for the lowest common denominator -- Eyesight varies! I can barely
read 6 point font at my age, so I'd go for a larger font. [This will all
be irrelevant in a few years when we all go paperless. In the meantime,
keep your printed materials well formatted for the opposition & judges.]

Attribute the evidence to the best of your ability so your opponent can
dispute it and an honest outsider (the judge,) can evaluate its authority.

--JP

ps: I know there are no "norms" here. I'm trying to establish one: Can
you read it 'at speed' without practice? If not, your font is too small.
Readability is very subjective. I figure the "read 'at speed'" test is
the best we can come up with for now.

pps: None of this has to do with "Cheating" or anything like that. The
vast, vast majority of people who shrink text are trying to include more
context (because technology makes it possible,) are trying to save
paper, or are trying to fit more on a page for speech efficiency. All
three are good goals. All I'm saying is that your opponents don't like
paragraphs shrunk beyond recognition in the middle of cards, don't like
mid sentence words shrunk because they aren't underlined and don't like
qualifying statements shrunk out of legibility.