[eDebate] 5 point font: pffft

Jason Russell jasonlrussell1
Fri May 15 14:03:17 CDT 2009

I think you and Dave are exaggerating the role that reducing from 8 pt font
to 5 pt font plays in saving file space. Your estimates presume that 25% of
every card is dead space reduced by 50%. Font reductions a. do not save 50%
of space even if they reduce the font by 50% of its size and b. do not have
uniform effects on every card or every file. I suspect that at most a 3 pt
font size reduction decreases the size of the average file by 10% which is
typically not a tub sized reduction and file sizes could be offset in ways
that don't dramatically impact the competitive experiences of other teams.

This complaint is not one of just 3 judges, but is one I frequently hear
from debaters I coach and judge. It definitely impacts my life way less than
it does those of debaters.