[eDebate] Reduce "reliance"

Brian DeLong bdelo77
Sun May 17 01:50:21 CDT 2009

Stefan's criticism of "reliance" as a term of art is dead on.  The
problem with deterrence and how we "rely" or "use" it as someone else
suggested as a verb to place in the resolution is that it's perceptual.

Case in point:  There is evidence that indicates that Reagan would
have never launched nuclear weapons, even in the event that the Soviet
Union first struck us.  Does this mean that the Reagan admin really
were not "relying" on our nuclear deterrent.

To what extent are we relying on nuclear weapons now?  This is a
source of massive academic debate.  It is also a point of debate
within non-us academic, and governmental circles.  How much does Iran
really believe that we are going to launch nuclear weapons at them?
Those that perceive our nuclear deterrent to be "uncredible" will
ultimate decide that we are not relying on them at all.

The term of art can be found in many places, as the topic paper
suggests, my problem is that it may not bet the best limiter to keep
our focus on the topoi of nuclear weapons themselves.

Building a badass space weapons superstructure would probably reduce
our reliance on nuclear deterrence.  PGMs shows how much we can
surgically destroy major components of our enemies infrastructure.
Why not just rely on them more by increasing their development and
deployment etc.

The community should vote against reliance as a term that is in the
topic.