[eDebate] BAUDL Considers hosting Open Eligibility Tourn at NDT/CEDA

Blake Johnson blakejohnson
Fri Nov 6 23:39:04 CST 2009

The Bay Area Urban Debate League is considering the possibility of hosting a
Pro Debate Round Robin (no eligibility required - open to
current/former/never was debaters) to benefit the UDL during the CEDA/NDT
week in Berkeley.

I am writing here to gather feedback on this issue.  If you would be
interested in participating in such a competition, please backchannel me.
While this is an idea that excites me personally, our decision to move
forward with it will be dependent on the amount of enthusiasm that is
expressed.

Here's the idea:

We'll accept ten teams who make a minimum donation to the BAUDL (probably
somewhere in the range of $200) to participate in a round robin which will
take place on the off day between NDT and CEDA.  Each team will also be
required to bring one judge. Teams will be divided into two wheels of five.
Each team will debate each of the others in its wheel and each team will
receive one bye.  The two teams who win their wheels will debate in a final
round which will take place during an awards ceremony and banquet, to which
we will invite all comers and at which we will host a cash bar.

I cannot emphasize this enough: *if you think you might be interested in
participating in the open-eligibility tournament, please backchannel me
expressing such.  *We will be making a decision in the next month or so to
move forward with or abandon this idea.  The enthusiasm that is expressed by
this community will be the most influential factor in making this decision.

Thanks for your attention.  Please forward this email to anyone who it might
interest.

--
Blake Johnson
Executive Director