[eDebate] Mardi Gras Tournament 2010 Invitation

Mon Nov 16 09:01:28 CST 2009

Dear Colleagues:

The University of Louisiana-Lafayette Debate Program invites you to
attend the Mardi Gras Policy Debate Tournament on February 12 through
15, 2009. Our intent is to offer some Ragin? Cajun hospitality and
some good competition. We have the tournament scheduled to encourage
participation in Mardi Gras festivities. You may want to arrive for
the tournament on February 12, 2010. We also suggest that you stay
over Monday night in order to celebrate Fat Tuesday with us either in
Lafayette or New Orleans.

A Humane Schedule

We do not believe that tournament have to be death marches to victory.
When possible, tournaments should strive to be more humane toward
participants; and, more importantly, to coaches. Friday February 20th
will be registration. We encourage you to register early enough so
that you may then attend the Friday night parade. Saturday has three
rounds beginning at 9:00 a.m. We will strictly enforce start times
with forfeit rules. Our goal is to have you out in time to watch the
Bonaparte parade. Sunday rounds also begin at 9:00 a.m. and we hope to
end before 5:00 p.m. Monday elimination rounds begin at 10:00 a.m.

Nuclear Blast Get Together

In keeping with last year?s ?support your local CAFO? barbecue which
featured hamburgers and homemade jambalaya, we will again have a
politically incorrect lunch and an off-campus coaches reception. Those
who attended last year will attest that last year?s hospitality lives
up to Louisiana traditions.

Parades in Lafayette

The schedule allows individuals time to attend the Lafayette Mardi
Gras parades. The Friday (February 12 night parade begins at 6:30 p.m.
The Saturday night Parade of Bonaparte begins at 6:30 p.m. Given that
the parade route runs right by campus, persons attending the
tournament will merely have to walk fifty yards from their last debate
round on Saturday to secure a prime bead catching location. There are
no parades in Lafayette on Sunday night. However, there are plenty of
festivities throughout Lafayette to celebrate. Monday?s Queen of
Evangeline Parade begins at 6:00 p.m. Mardi Gras really is a Louisiana
official holiday and, yes, we really do get four days off from school
to celebrate. (When we lived in Texas, my wife was appalled to find
out that other states did not recognize this holiday; another affront
to Cajun culture).

We look forward to seeing you this February.

Scott M. Elliott, Ph.D. J.D.
Asst. Prof. and Dir. of Debate, UL-Lafayette
Sme2607 at louisiana.edu
Office: 337-482-6090
Cell 337-849-7487

Tournament Information:

Entry Fees:

$60.00 per team. $10.00 per person other than debate teams.

The fees will be used to cover the cost of the barbecue, awards,
coffee and king cake, and tournament administration costs.

Judging

Teams will only be allowed to enter if they have judging to cover
them. As a new program we do not have the alumni to hire as extra
judges. Please bring judges to cover your commitment.

Awards

Some of the old guard may remember the unique awards from the
Southeastern Louisiana University Mardi Gras Tournament. We hope to
provide the same type of awards, but with a Cajun flare. The Mardi
Gras masks may come back. But we are also looking into some support
from the Tabasco company and local artist, George Rodrigue (Blue Dog).

Directions, location, airports

Lafayette, Louisiana is at located at the junction of Interstate 10
and Interstate 49. The Lafayette Regional Airport is literally 10
minutes from campus and less than ten minutes from the tournament
hotel. We are 45 minutes from Baton Rouge. We are two hours from the
New Orleans airport. We are four hours from Houston and approximately
eight hours from Dallas.

Hotels
Remember, it is Mardi Gras. So try to book your rooms early.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
LAFAYETTE-SOUTH
210 KALISTE SALOOM
  (337) 456-6900

Hilton Lafayette
1521 West Pinhook Road, Lafayette, Louisiana, United States 70503-3158
Tel: 1-337-235-6111   Fax: 1-337-237-6313

La Quinta Inn & Suites, Lafayette
1015 West Pinhook Road
Lafayette, LA 70503
Phone: 1-337-291-1088
Fax: 1-337-235-4703

Ramada Lafayette
120 E Kaliste Saloom Rd
Lafayette, LA 70508 US
Phone:	337-235-0858
Fax:	337-232-8022

Tournament Schedule

University of Louisiana-Lafayette Mardi Gras Policy Tournament
Tentative Schedule.

Friday  February 12, 2009            Registration. Tournament Hotel.
5:00-8:00 p.m.
				      Lafayette Mardi Gras parade from 6:30-9:00
Pairings for Rds. 1 and 2 released at Hotel and on edebate (as soon as
possible after registration.

Saturday Feb. 13  9:00 a.m.  		King Cake, coffee. Round 1.
                   11:00 a.m. 	            Round 2.
				        			Lunch break following Round 2
               2:30 p.m.	(or earlier) Pairings for Rd. 3 released.
                                                         3:00 p.m.
                Round  3.

Sunday Feb. 14		         8:00 a.m.		Round 4 pairings released. Hotel and
edebate.
				          9:00 a.m.	King Cake, Coffee. Round 4.
				         11:30 a.m.	Round 5
							Lunch Break following Rd. 5 (Depending on the University, we
will have the barbecue either for lunch after round 5; or a barbecue
off campus for dinner; after round 6)
3:00 p.m.	Round 6
					                        Breaks Posted

Monday Feb. 15			10:00 a.m.	First Elimination Rounds
				          	12:30 p.m.	Awards
				         	1:30 p.m.	Second Elimination Rounds
4:00 p.m.	Third Elimination Rounds