[eDebate] NY City RR Update

Stefan Bauschard stefan.bauschard
Mon Oct 5 12:56:37 CDT 2009

I am close to finalizing plans (will have a contract signed within a week)
for the New York City Round Robin that is being held in conjunction with the
Lakeland tournament.

The RR will be held at the Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers on February 24th and
25th (
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=421
).

The property is located literally one block from both the Ed Sullivan
Theater (David Letterman Show (
http://www.mustseenewyork.com/attractions/ed-sullivan-theatre.html)) and one
block from Avenue of the Americas.

Most funds to host this event are being contributed by Lakeland alums,
though at this point we do find it necessary to charge $100/team to help
defray expenses (trophies and room rental). If more $ is raised, this fee
will be eliminated.

Since hotel catering prices are very high ($59+service charge for a boxed
lunch) we will not be providing hospitality, but there is more good food
that you could even try to eat available a stone's throw from the entrance
to the hotel.  We will provide plenty of time for lunch and free evenings
for dining and entertainment.

We are looking to invite 7 teams to this round robin. If you are interested,
please let me know and send in a your team's competitive record for this
year by November 24th. Invitations will be issued by December 1st and we
hope to have the pool finalized by December 15th.  We are looking for a
competitive and diverse field.

Of course, we'd love to have some college coaches who may be interested in
visiting the area judge a round or two in the round robin. With 145 varsity
policy teams and 300 other contestants already entered in our free
invitational (http://www.joyoftournaments.com/ny/lakeland/info.asp), this is
a great recruiting opportunity.

If you have any questions, please email me.  If you plan on submitting
information for the RR, please let me know that as well.

The room rate for single and double occupancy is $179.00.  Quad occupancy is
$199.00.  I realize that this is a little high, but this is in the middle of
Broadway. Once the field is announced on the 15th, hopefully people can
share rooms to reduce costs.

--
Stefan Bauschard

President & Co-Founder, PlanetDebate.com
Debate Coach, Harvard Debate
Director of Debate, Lakeland Schools
Director of Development & Operations, NFL National Tournament 2011

(c) 781-775-0433
(fx) 617-588-0283