[eDebate] Electronic Age Evidence Ethics

Galloway, Ryan W. rwgallow
Wed Oct 7 18:14:01 CDT 2009

In Round 7 at Kentucky, I was the stay home coach cutting a few cards before our break round for my team.

I sent a file for NEG against the case we were debating (just a few update cards)...it arrived 6 minutes after the start time of the round.  My debater sat down at the end of the 1nc and saw it in his gmail box, and was like "Oh, crap."

Samford BG never used any of the evidence I sent.

The question is, what if they had?

What if, unbeknownst to someone cutting cards at home, the round had already begun by the time an e-file was sent.  The coach had no knowledge of what the 1ac said (other than pre-round scouting), and sent the file "in good faith" but it just arrived late either because of miscommunication about round start time (I was doing all my communicating via gmail chat, not phone), or just got "stuck in the tubes."

A question that certainly has to have pertinence in this era.

Samford's currently policy is that we will not use evidence that arrives after the start time of the round, but I can see the argument the other way.

Thoughts?

RG