[eDebate] Western Novice & JV Champs @ Sac State

Tudor, Kristen H sac36967
Thu Oct 8 11:34:58 CDT 2009

Sacramento State University will once again be hosting the Western Novice & JV Championship tournament this spring, March 5-7, 2010.  The invite is available at debateresults and is also pasted below.

If you have any questions please contact Sac State's interim Director of Debate, Ken Dandy (kendandy at gmail.com), who will be covering for me the remainder of the fall semester while I am on maternity leave.

Hope to see you in Sacramento this spring.

Kristen Hamilton Tudor
Director of Debate
Sacramento State University

On behalf of the Sacramento State University debate team and the Department of Communication Studies, I?m excited to invite you to participate in the Western Novice & JV Championship Tournament to be held at Sac State March 5-7, 2010.  We will have six preliminary rounds of National Championship team policy debate in both novice & junior-varsity divisions with appropriate elimination rounds.

We?ve secured a rate of $85.00 a night for a double queen or King room at the Marriott Sacramento Rancho Cordova.  In room wireless access will be an additional $5 per room per day.  The block of rooms will be held until February 19.  Since the hotel does not provide a complimentary breakfast, we?ll do that at the tournament.  See below for reservation information.

I hope you?ll consider adding this tournament to your spring travel schedule ? we look forward to hosting you.  If you have questions feel free to email me at khamilton at csus.edu.

Kristen Hamilton Tudor
Director of Debate

Ken Dandy
Graduate Assistant Coach/Interim Director of Debate Fall 2009

Brooke Boehning
Graduate Assistant Coach

(916) 278-5489 (office)
(916) 278-7216 (fax)

Tournament Information

Transportation:  The Sacramento Airport is about a 20 minute drive from campus and the tournament hotel.  There are plenty of rental car companies in the airport.   To get to campus or the hotel from the airport, take I-5 south, then merge onto highway 50 east towards South Lake Tahoe.  Exit at Howe/Power Inn Road and follow the signs to campus.

The Hotel:  The Rancho Cordova Marriott gave us a great rate of $85.00 per night, plus $5 per night for internet.   Call 1-800-228-9290 for Central Reservations and ask for the "Sac State Debate Tournament" rate or use the links below to reserve your rooms online.
Use this link to reserve rooms with 2 queen beds:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/SACMC?groupCode=SSDSSDB&app=resvlink&fromDate=3/5/10&toDate=3/7/10
Use this link to reserve rooms with one king bed:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/SACMC?groupCode=SSDSSDA&app=resvlink&fromDate=3/5/10&toDate=3/7/10
Please ask for Kristin Goble in sales if you have any problems getting the rate.  The block expires on February 19, 2 weeks before the tournament.

To get to the hotel from campus, head back to highway 50 going east toward South Lake Tahoe.  Take the Sunrise Blvd. exit and go right onto Sunrise.  Go left onto Folsom Blvd, then left onto Point East Drive.  The hotel?s address is 11211 Point East Drive, Rancho Cordova, 95742.

Campus:  Sac State?s address is 6000 J Street, 95819.  I haven?t been able to secure parking permits, so you?ll have to buy a permit for $5 on Friday.  No permit is needed on the weekend.  Park in Lot 2 and look for Mendocino Hall for registration.

Entry Info:  enter at debateresults.com

Tournament Procedures:  We will use the 2009-2010  CEDA/NDT topic with 9-3-6 speaking times.  We will adhere to CEDA guidelines for novice and JV eligibility.  Divisions will not be collapsed because this is a championship tournament.  There will be no breaking of brackets in elimination rounds.  We will, if necessary, have partial-elimination rounds in order to break all teams with a winning record.

Fees:  The fee for each team is $100.00, which does include breakfast Saturday and Sunday and lunch on Saturday.  Each school is expected to provide one judge for every two teams entered.  The uncovered team fee will be $120.00.  Please bring extra judges ? I?m sure we?ll need them and will pay $25 per round.

Tournament Schedule

Friday, March 5th
2:00-3:00:  Registration on campus ? Mendocino Hall

3:30:  Pairings for rounds 1, 2 released ? Mendocino Hall

4:00:  Round 1

6:30:  Round 2

Saturday, March 6th
8:00am: Pairings, breakfast, coffee in Mendocino Hall

9:00:  Round 3

11:30:  Round 4

1:30:  Lunch on campus (provided)

3:00:  Round 5

6:00:  Round 6

9:30:  Elimination teams and judges posted on edebate & on campus.

Sunday, March 7th
8:00:  Pairings for elimination rounds, breakfast & coffee, Mendocino Hall

9:00:  Elimination round 1

11:00:  Awards Ceremony:  Mendocino Hall

12:00:  Subsequent elimination rounds as needed.