[eDebate] 2010 California Swing Tournaments - Invite

gregachten at berkeley.edu gregachten
Tue Oct 13 18:47:49 CDT 2009

2009 Cal Invitational Debates
Dear Colleagues,

The University of California, Berkeley is pleased to announce the
continuation of the California Swing tournaments both of which will be
hosted this year on our main campus in Berkeley. The tournaments will run
January 3-5 and 7-9 with registration on January 2nd.

The tournaments will offer six preliminary rounds of team topic debate as
well as appropriate elimination rounds in open, junior and novice
divisions. The
preliminary rounds will be held on the main Berkeley campus with the
elimination rounds held at the Oakland Convention Center. The tournament
hotel for
the tournament is the Marriott Oakland City Center which is attached to
the Convention Center.

Cal is planning to host both CEDA and the NDT in 2010 and we are using the
same tournament hotel and elimination round facilities that we will use
for those tournaments. We sincerely hope that you will attend our
tournament this year as we would like to prepare the hotel for these
tournaments. Although the Cal team is well versed in running large debate
tournaments, the Oakland City Center Marriott is not, so the more teams
that attend the more realistic this test-run will be.

I strongly urge you to stay at the Marriott. This is an outstanding
facility with excellent elimination round facilities. I have managed to
secure a tournament rate of $117 per night for up to 4 people per room. We
have a block of rooms and the block expires a
month before the tournament begins. You can make reservations now by calling
1-888-236-2427 and asking for the Cal Swing Debate Tournament rate. MAKE YOUR
HOTEL RESERVATIONS NOW! Last year many people were squeezed out of the
tournament hotel because they failed to make reservations in a timely
manner. The cutoff
date for the event is December 1 and it is possible our block will be full
before then. Keep in mind that this is an urban hotel and you will be
required to pay for parking. The self parking rate is $22 per night and
the valet rate is $26 per night.

Two changes to our traditional tournaments to note. First, we will be
serving lunch on each of the prelim days in order to both expedite the
schedule and to test out catering options for the NDT. Our fee structure
reflects this change.

Second, in order to help folks defray costs we are going to offer an
evidence and people shuttle service to and from campus. This will allow
you to avoid renting a car and incurring both rental and parking fees,
both of which can add up in Berkeley. We will offer an evidence shuttle
and shuttle service to and from campus for $30 per person per tournament.
Information about this service will be provided below in the invitation as
well as via email as the tournament approachesl

For general info about the hotel go to
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/oakdt-oakland-marriott-city-center/

We are pleased to be able to host a tournament at Berkeley. If you have
any questions or need any additional information please feel free to
contact me.

Sincerely,

Greg Achten
Tournament Director/Co-Director of Debate
818-357-8424

Transportation: I strongly urge those flying to use Oakland International.
It is much
closer to campus, much easier to navigate and often much cheaper as it is
served by
discount carriers Southwest and JetBlue.

Directions to Hotel:
Transportation Information: From Oakland International Airport:
Mileage: 8 Miles
Exit airport. Take Hegenberger Rd to I-880 N. Exit Broadway and turn
right. Go 3 blocks, turn left on 10th St. Make right turns around the
block to hotel entrance.

Evidence/People shuttling: We can get you to and from campus for $30 per
person per tournament. There is also a BART train station right across the
street from the hotel and one 5 minutes from campus if you wish to go back
to the hotel early in the day. You will be responsible for getting
yourself to and from the airport. I recommend two shuttle services:
Bayporter (bayporter.com) or Super Shuttle (supershuttle.com)

Parking: Parking in Berkeley is expensive and scarce. We will have a
limited number of
parking permits available for sale for $25 each per tournament. This is
generally
cheaper than you will find in Berkeley and much closer. If you wish to
order a parking
permit or permits please email that request to me as soon as possible, but
by December 1 at the latest.

Campus Policies: The Berkeley Campus is a smoke-free campus. There is no
smoking in ANY building on campus. PLEASE abide by this policy so that we
may continue to use these facilities in subsequent years. The Berkeley
campus is also a drug and alcohol free campus.

Entry Information: Online entry is required at www.debateresults.com

Tab Room: The tab room will be run by myself (Greg Achten), Jon Bruschke.
Becky
Opsata and Glen Frappier.

Procedures: Brackets will not be broken in elimination rounds and sides in
elims will be
determined by a coin flip between the opponents unless they met in the
preliminary
rounds. Hybrids and mavericks will be allowed on a case by case basis and
only in
extraordinary circumstances. Our tournament supports and adheres to the
CEDA Anti-
Sexual Harassment Policy.

Divisions: We will use the joint CEDA-NDT policy topic. We will offer Open
(any undergraduate meeting AFA eligibility requirements)and Junior (any
undergraduate student that meets the CEDA definition of a JV debater) and
Novice (any undergraduate in their first year of debate that meets the
CEDA definition of a novice debater). We reserve the right to collapse
divisions if entries warrant. In the Varsity division we will clear all
4-2 teams under the following conditions: should entries warrant, we will
clear to a full double-octo final (assuming we have 64 entries in the
division). Absent that a partial double-octo-final round will be held ONLY
if it would involve 8 teams or 4 debates. In the event that fewer than 4
partial debates would occur, we will cut 4-2?s on points and other
tie-breakers and will recognize teams not advancing at the awards
ceremony.

Fees: Fees will be $50 per person including judges and observers. This
will include breakfast and lunch each day or prelims.

Judging: Each school is expected to provide 3 rounds of judging per team.
For each team beyond the first two, we ask that schools provide 4 rounds
of judging. This is in line with the judging expectation at many other
major national tournaments and we ask this to maximize our ability to
place highly preferred judges in important debates. Each judge will be
obligated for through the octafinal or one round beyond the
elimination of their team. We have some hired judges that we can provide,
but not many.
Hired judges will be given on a first come, first served basis at a fee of
$150 per uncovered team. We are not trying to make money on hired judges. We
would much rather have your judges than your money. If you have extra judges
available from your school please let me know as we would probably like to
hire them. We will use preference/strike sheets for prelims and elims. All
judges are expected to render a decision within 2 hours and 45 minutes of
the start time
of the debate. If a judge has failed to render their decision by this
time, the tab room will ask the judge to vote in the next minute. If the
judge fails to vote by this time, the tab room will decide the debate
through the flip of a coin. This policy applies to preliminary rounds
only. Each judge must designate one, and only one, team as the winner of
the
debate. We will use a 30 point scale. Points may be awarded in full and
half point increments only.

Questions: If you need to get in touch with me, please call or email
Mobile: 818-357-8424
Email:gregachten at berkeley.edu

Schedule of Events
January 2nd
6-8 PM Registration: Marriott

January 3rd
7:00 AM Late registration on campus in Dwinelle Hall: Pairings released on
campus and at Marriott: continental breakfast on campus
8:00 AM Round 1
10:45 AM Round 2
1:00 PM Lunch
2:30 PM Round 3
6:00 PM Round 4
8:30 PM First shuttle for hotel departs

January 4th
6:15 AM First shuttle departs for campus
7:00 AM Round 5 pairings released on campus and at Marriott: continental
breakfast on
campus
8:00 AM Round 5
11:45 AM Round 6
2:00 PM Lunch on campus
3:00 PM Awards Ceremony
4:30 PM First Elimination Round in all divisions
7:30 PM First shuttle leaves for hotel

January 5th
7:00 AM Pairings for elimination rounds released at Marriott
8:00 AM Varsity Octafinals at Marriott
11:00 AM Subsequent varsity elimination rounds and initial novice and JV
elims

January 6th
Day off
6:00 PM Registration at Marriott for teams only entered in tournament two

January 7th
7:00 AM Late registration on campus in Dwinelle Hall: Pairings released on
campus and at Marriott: continental breakfast on campus
8:00 AM Round 1
10:45 AM Round 2
1:00 PM Lunch
2:30 PM Round 3
6:00 PM Round 4
8:30 PM First shuttle for hotel departs

January 8th
6:15 AM First shuttle departs for campus
7:00 AM Round 5 pairings released on campus and at Marriott: continental
breakfast on
campus
8:00 AM Round 5
11:45 AM Round 6
2:00 PM Lunch on campus
3:00 PM Awards Ceremony
4:30 PM First Elimination Round in all divisions
7:30 PM First shuttle leaves for hotel

January 9th