[eDebate] Hurricane Debates Invitation

Steinberg, David L dave
Fri Oct 16 12:11:19 CDT 2009

The Hurricane Debates
University of Miami
Coral Gables, Florida
January 29-31, 2010
http://debate.miami.edu/college/

Offering 6 preliminary rounds of debate plus appropriate elimination
rounds in Open, J.V., and Novice Policy Debate

The University of Miami Debate Team and School of Communication invite you to our beautiful campus and exciting community for fun, sun and excellent debate in South Florida on January 29-31, 2010. We promise excellent hospitality and efficient tab room management. This year?s tournament will be recognized by CEDA and ADA. Please join us!

Hotel Information:

Miami will host the Super Bowl on February 7, so our ?high? season is even higher than usual. For convenience, we have again secured a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn, which is the closest accommodation to campus. If you don?t mind ?budget? lodging, or a longer drive to campus, talk to David Steinberg and we will help you locate a cheaper alternative. In addition, you may wish to stay at famous South Beach or Coconut Grove. Either will cost a drive or higher rates, but with obvious benefits. Ask us for assistance.

Holiday Inn University of Miami, 1350 South Dixie Highway, Coral Gables, Florida 33146, directly across US-1 from campus. They have offered us a flat rate of $139. Contact information and bock code will be posted as soon as available.

Alternatives:

For a list of additional hotels offering UM rates, visit:
http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,29105-1;12593-2;65418-3,00.html?pf=1

As alternatives, we suggest these low budget properties close to campus:

Gables Motor Inn, 730 S. Dixie Highway, Coral Gables, 305-661-7999
Terrace Inn, 1430 S. Dixie Highway, Coral Gables, 305-662-8845 (This is the closest and cheapest)

Alternate Hotel information at Miami International Airport: http://miami.hotelguide.net/hl1ap.htm
Alternate Hotel information in Coral Gables: http://miami.hotelguide.net/hl1cg.htm
Alternate Hotel information in Coconut Grove: http://miami.hotelguide.net/hl1co.htm
Alternate Hotel information on Miami Beach: http://miami.hotelguide.net/hl1mb.htm

Local Events
There is always a lot going on in South Florida during the winter. A few of the big events on our weekend include:

Homestead Championship Rodeo
Miami ING Marathon
NFL Pro Bowl
Miami Beach Arts Festival
Florida Panthers v. NY Islanders (Sunday)
Miami Heat v. Milwaukee Bucks (Monday)

Transportation:

Miami International Airport (MIA) is most convenient to campus. Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) is about 45 minutes away. West Palm Beach International (PBI) is about an hour and a half drive. Southwest Airlines flies into Ft. Lauderdale only. Car rental rates tend to be very reasonable here. For airport transportation (MIA only), we recommend SuperShuttle, http://www.supershuttle.com/default.aspx?content=Miami, or local cabs.

Entries: At this time, we will not limit entries, however, we reserve the right to do so as necessary to facilitate the tournament. We have very limited room availability. Please enter as soon as possible, and no later than 5:00 p.m. (Miami time), Monday, January 25th.

How to Enter: We will be using the Bruschke website for tournament entries. Please enter at www.debateresults.com If you have difficulty with the entry process or need assistance, please contact Professor Steinberg. Again, the entry cut-off date is Monday, January 25th, at 5:00 p.m. in Miami. Please be sure to enter your school and your students by that date.

Contact Information: For information, assistance, etc?, please call the Tournament Director, David L. Steinberg, 305-284-5553 (office), 305-926-8498 (cell), dave at miami.edu

Maps and Directions: For Maps and directions to the campus, visit

http://miami.edu/maps/
For specific directions to The School of Communication, visit
http://com.miami.edu/directions/
For directions to The Holiday Inn, visit
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/MIAUM/transportation

Debate Information:
6 rounds of team topic policy debate in Open, J.V. and Novice Debate on the 2009-2010 CEDA Resolution: Resolved: The United States Federal Government should substantially reduce the size of its nuclear weapons arsenal, and/or substantially reduce and restrict the role and/or missions of its nuclear weapons arsenal.

We will maintain the divisions as long as it is possible to pair 6 rounds where each team debates six different opponents. If a division is not large enough to allow for this, divisions will be collapsed, but awards will be given to top speakers in their original division (example, if JV collapses into Open, the top JV speakers will still be recognized.)

Format 9-3-6,10 minutes preparation time. University of Miami teams may participate. Judges must assign a winner and a loser in each debate. Eligibility for participation and for divisions will be consistent with current Cross Examination Debate Association (CEDA) and American Debate Association (ADA) rules. We will honor the CEDA and ADA standards for ethical practice, sexual discrimination, tournament administration and evidence policy. The ADA rules are available at http://www.liberty.edu/academics/communications/debate/index.cfm?PID=15224 (thank you to Liberty University!)

Awards will be provided to all elimination round participants, and to at least the top 20% of speakers. Maximum number of elimination rounds as consistent with ADA and CEDA standards will be offered

Judging: You must provide one judge for every 2 teams (or fraction thereof). If you are unable to provide judging, we may not be able to accept your entry. We will have a limited amount of hired judging available at $100 per uncovered team. Please let us know as soon as possible if you anticipate needing to hire judging.

If the number of teams and judges allows, we will offer some form of mutually preferred judge assignment. If we are able to employ MPF, we will do so across all divisions.

Fees: $100 per team to be collected at registration. Please pay by school. Checks should be made out to UM Debate.

Amenities: snacks, Saturday breakfast, Saturday lunch, Sunday breakfast, Sunday lunch, and other hospitality will be provided

Schedule:
Friday, January 29 2:00 ? 3:00 Registration UM School of
Communication Courtyard
4:00 Round I
6:30 Round II

Saturday, January 30 9:30 posting of Round III
10:00 Round III
1:00 Round IV
4:00 Round V
7:00 Round VI

Sunday, January 31 8:30 a.m. posting of Elimination Rounds
9:30 First Elimination Round
12:00 Awards
12:30 Elimination Rounds Continue
David L. Steinberg
Director of Debate, Lecturer in Communication Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248127
Coral Gables, FL  33124

FLW 3015