[eDebate] Proposed Rule Change on the "Clear Half" ADA Rule

Galloway, Ryan W. rwgallow
Mon Oct 19 14:01:33 CDT 2009

Greetings from Birmingham,

I just arrived home from a wonderful tournament at Vanderbilt University.  ML was great, all the debaters fought hard, and we look forward to returning next year.

However, the final round I judged ended at approximately 2AM.

After the debate, I walked out in pitch black to the SUV I had left in the parking lot at the tournament.  Not planning on staying the night, I drove around the streets of Nashville to find a place to stay.

My fine motor skills were weak.  I was having difficulty steering the SUV even down the street and navigating a few U-Turns to find a hotel in a strange city.  I seriously contemplated taking a nap in the van.

Meanwhile, Abi drove our kids home after we lost in the semis, and arrived home at after 5am.  She has been suffering from exhaustion and throwing up.  The motivation to not stay was to make sure our students who were competing late at Richmond (another ADA tournament that did 5 rounds in a day) could get back home to go to school.

Folks, this isn't safe.

A cause of this problem is that the ADA rules clear half of the teams.  Vandy did 5 debates in a day and the awards ceremony.  The first debate had almost everyone getting a bye, delaying the start of the octafinals until almost noon.

I would like to suggest a minor modification to the ADA rules on this question.

*If clearing half the teams would require a partial double-octafinals means that there are less than 3 debates taking place in the double-octafinals, that the tournament not clear said teams, that the teams receive a double-octafinals award and points appropriate for winning such a debate.  For purposes of CEDA, ADA, and NDT points, those competing in the Octas will receive the equivalent number of points as if they had won a double-octafinals debate.

5 debates and an awards ceremony in a day is too much.  National tournaments increasingly believe this, now it may be time to clean up the ADA rules for the regional tournaments for the health and well-being of all participants.

The Vandy tournament had 2 varsity debates in the Octas and 1 close-out.  Meanwhile THIRTEEN TEAMS received a bye through the Doubles, meaning they had to wait at the tournament till apx 11:45AM to start their first debate of the day.

The Vandy tournament had 1 jv debate in the Octas and 7 teams advanced with a bye.

Novice Octas was reasonable, 4 debates three byes.

My proposal is just a conversation starter.  I'm the biggest fan in the world of getting more debates for people, but we've got to have a compromise at some point.  A handful of double-octafinal debates that cause a tournament to try to get 5 debates and an awards ceremony in a day may be a reasonable start.

Recognizing that this may not be popular, but may be necessary...

Dr. Ryan W. Galloway
Director of Debate
Samford University