[eDebate] Kentucky teams/coaches - computer virus threat

Gary Larson Gary.N.Larson
Tue Oct 6 08:53:43 CDT 2009

This is a real concern that needs to be addressed as we move into a paperless world where we share files with each other on jump drives.  A missing jump drive was turned into the tab room on Monday morning.  I put it in my computer to see if I could identify who it belonged to.  It was infected with a trojan attached to the autorun.inf file that is accessed as soon as the jump drive is recognized.  Fortunately, my computer is quite well protected against such files ? as a result I was not able to identify the owner of the file, however.

Two things EVERYONE must do:  1) you need to be very careful when you create files on jump drives that you are going to share with others.  2) everyone needs to make sure that they have good anti-virus software on their computers with up-to-date definitions.