[eDebate] The Success of Women in Debate: Are we slipping?

Katherine Lavelle lenehan20
Thu Oct 8 14:08:34 CDT 2009

Hi Whit,

Saw your post on Edebate - I don't have tons of time to respond because I have my yearly tenure review file due on Monday. A couple of things to consider. I think that you are pointing out some good issues that should be addressed, but there might be some deeper issues at play:

1. What constitutes success of hiring? Is it purely NDT/CEDA outrounds? Who gets hired can really depend on who is making the decisions. For instance, if a hiring committee consists of non-current debate people, they may look more at record outside of debate as opposed to how many outrounds someone had at the NDT. And for grad school, many debate people aren't going to grad school at all, which means directors are often face difficulty with maintaining positions.

2. Creating a positive squad room environment. I think sometimes how debaters interact with each other can be off putting to anyone who doesn't speak the "language" of squad rooms. We have a lot of inside jokes in the activity, and if someone doesn't understand them, or doesn't feel comfortable participating, they may not feel compelled to participate.

3. Sue Peterson mentioned this in her post a few weeks ago, debate in general can be very taxing on people. Sometimes success is measured in how much time you devote to debate. A lot of people aren't willing to make that committment after their undergraduate program. I know that I have to devote a lot more of myself to the activity as a director (in terms of time, responsibility), if you don't have a support network that allows you to participate, you may not think that the sacrifice of debate is worth the reward.

4. I'm all for women in power in debate/forensics, and definitely think that there should be more. But male directors can be great mentors to women. In fact, I never worked on the same staff with another woman until I came to UNI. Kelly Young, Ben Voth, George Ziegelmueller, and Ron Stevenson were great mentors to me, and encouraged me to transition into directing.

Katherine L. Lavelle
Director of Forensics
University of Northern Iowa

You must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Don't be resigned to that. Break out! ? Mr. Keating, Tom Schulman Dead Poets Society