[eDebate] 87 Average?

JP Lacy lacyjp
Thu Oct 8 23:09:27 CDT 2009

[Quick summary -- Judges should figure out the "community scale" & use
it unless a tournament publishes other guidelines.]

I'm not a numbers person at all. I'm also struggling like everyone else
with the 100 point scale. My point assignment at GSU & Kentucky was
basically lousy.

My old scale:

You cheated: 0
Rude: 26
Below average = 27.5
Average = 28
Clearing = 28.5
Getting a top 10 speaker award = 29
Getting a very high speaker award = 29.5

I know, this scale is not optimal. Its inflated compared to most judges,
but I don't like being a spoiler.

Just for fun, I translated my old scale into a 100 point scale. I used
division to do it.

Translation of my old scale using math:

Below average = 92
Average = 93
Clearing = 95
Getting a top 10 speaker award = 97
Getting a very high speaker award = 98

Ugh!! That scale is just as bad as the old broken 5 point scale (27.5-29.5)

We all know the old scale isn't very good: The important distinctions
(The ones between teams clearing & not, and the ones between the top
speakers) are basically statistical "noise."

So, the 100 point scale is better.

I'm a fan of following the judging pool when it comes to points. I don't
think its fair to do otherwise. That does not mean "if you got good
points before, you get them from me." That does mean if your debating in
the round I judge you is "top ten" quality, you get "top ten" points.

I eyeballed the Kentucky results & came up with the following scale,
which seems to reflect where the community is going:

Below average = 83 (Depends.) Debaters are above average students. Below
average competitors don't need a point value to learn how much worse
than mediocre they were, unless they were rude or cheated.
Average = 85
Clearing (barely)= 87
Clearing high in your not undefeated bracket = 90
Getting a top twenty speaker award = 92
Getting a top ten speaker award = 93
Getting a top five speaker award = 94
Top Speaker = 96

I won't say "this is the proper scale." I won't say it fixes all the
problems with the old 30 point scale. I will say that after 2
tournaments, it is the one in use. Out of fairness, I'll stick to it &
adjust it according to how others use it if tournaments don't publish
guidelines.

I'm completely in favor of tournaments setting ground rules for the use
of the scale: It makes results more meaningful.

If a tournament publishes guidelines, I'll follow them. Bucking the
instructions at a tournament just messes up the results.

-- JP