[eDebate] 87 Average?

gabe murillo gabejmurillo
Fri Oct 9 11:31:00 CDT 2009

I agree that there needs to be a discussion before tournaments about what the 100 point scale means. When I heard that 87 was average at Kentucky I felt terrible for the people I judged. I don't know if I gave above an 87 and I saw many debaters who I consider definitively above average. My scale starts at 70 and probably averages around 80. 90 and above is a range reserved for very very good performances, I was surprised to find out that this was terribly low compared to the "average". I was even more surprised when people who would have in the past called me a "point fairy" were handing out high 90s. To be frank I don't understand the point of the 100 point scale if 87 is average, but that is neither here nor there. I am willing to adjust my interpretation of the 100 point scale if it is clear that my points are unfair given the community trend. I think we need that discussion and hopefully we can come to some conclusion so the differential created by
 the 100 point scale isn't just based on randomness.
all the best
gabe