[eDebate] 87 Average?

Mike Kearney kearney.debate
Mon Oct 12 20:49:50 CDT 2009

It seems like all of these scales for 'average' are fairly arbitrary.
Everyone knows that a 27.5-28.0 is average on the 30 point scale, so why
don't we use that average to formulate a better 100 point scale?
Ermo has been suggesting for over a year that we take a score on a
30-point-scale, minus 20, and multiple by 10 (OR, just erase the 2 from 28.5
and move the decimal over to the right. Thus, 28.5 becomes 85).

This makes sense to me because there is a clear reference point and it gives
more flexibility between a 28.0 (80) and a 28.5 (85). Other scales are
pretty close to this but the translation from a 30 point score to a 100
point score would be more definite with this one.

Here's what the scale would look like-

29.5 = 95
29.0 = 90
28.5 = 85