[eDebate] On 7 Round Tournaments

Kuswa, Kevin kkuswa
Thu Oct 15 14:37:41 CDT 2009

Hi all,

7 rounds in the current structure does not work very well for the majority of the tournament.  Ralph's post was dead on.

8 prelims with travel and debate on different days at the beginning is the superior schedule if done right.  Maybe not national, but our tournament approaches 100 teams and Wayne and UNI all have 8 rounds.

Add that to NDT, Harvard, and CEDA Nationals and there are still a number of tournaments (I'm sure I am missing some) that are 8 rounds, including some District tournaments.

7 rounds is a terrible compromise--Greg is right on about that--but I am not sure 6 really solves the problem (especially given the arguments that more debates are generally better, we do come to tournaments to debate, and the majority of participants do not compete after out-rounds begin).

Our compromise to the long day on Monday will be to only clear 16 teams in each of 3 divisions instead of the "exactly half" rule that the ADA encourages (but does not mandate).

There is an important place for 6-round regional tournaments and that makes up a bulk of our schedule, but the national (or larger regional) tournaments looking to have the full prelim experience and a reasonable day of elims for all the competitors can still do well with the 8 round prelim format.

At the Spider tournament, we had 8 prelims (or 7 and a teach-in for novices) for almost 100 teams and 5 elims on Monday--but not just "5 elims overall"--five elims in Open and in Novice and 4 elims in JV.  For the second elim round we used 60 judges and more than half the teams at the tournament were able to compete on the third day.  The tournament was over by 10:00 or 11:00 at night on Monday.  There are improvements we can make (we plan to release the full bracket Sunday night as well as the specific judges needed in the morning -- in addition to limiting the elims to 16 teams per division unless a division gets bigger than 40).

Thanks to Ralph and Greg for their posts and I hope the conversation continues on this.

Sincerely,

Kevin

From: edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com [edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com] On Behalf Of gregachten at berkeley.edu [gregachten at berkeley.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:27 AM
To: Ralph Paone
Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: Re: [eDebate] On 7 Round Tournaments

I too have been thinking about this a great deal and spent a long time at
Kentucky talking to people about this very issue and was actually planning
on posting to edebate sometime this week so I thank Ralph for motivating
me to sit down and write this.

As many of you know I am a big advocate of 6 round tournaments. I think in
general 8 round tournaments with 5 elims on Monday are an anachronism from
a time when debates actually took 2 hours and we could start at 8 AM and
be done by 7 PM. Of course the heightened complexity of debates and the
extended decision making times that have corresponded along with the
increased demands for pre-round preparation have made this model largely
obsolete. I think there is an emerging consensus in the community that 8
round tournaments are not healthy for the community, witness that among
the major national tournaments only Harvard, CEDA and the NDT maintain 8
prelims and two of those are 4 day tournaments and Harvard only clears to
an octafinal.

However in response to the desire to shorten tournaments many directors
have decided to move to 7 rounds. After reflecting on this for some time,
I have come to believe that 7 round tournaments are the worst possible
compromise. I think they reduce the number of prelim rounds while making
the schedule net worse for the overwhelming majority of the tournament
participants. ]

In a typical 7 round tournament, the first day consists of 4 prelims,
meaning that there is no difference between a 7 and 8 round tournament.
The second day of a 7 round tournament however is MUCH worse for all of
the participants. In a typical 8 round tournament there are 4 debates,
round 6 is a lag-powered round so only 2 real power matching breaks exist.
With 7 round tournaments there are 3 prelims on day 2, all of which are
directly power matched meaning that the day is automatically already
longer. Then the final debate is not just an elim, but typically the
double octa-final. As someone who runs a lot of tabrooms I can assure you
this is the most difficult debate to place judges in and is often the most
time consuming debate to pair. Added to this is the fact that elim debates
generally take longer to decide and that there is usually an awards
ceremony before the start of the doubles. At Kentucky, our team arrived at
the school at 7:00 AM on Sunday and did leave campus until 11 PM, making
this a 16 hour day at the school. This is far worse than day 2 at 8 round
tournaments and this day effects everyone at the tournament. Day 3 is
clearly better in that there are only 4 elims, but it is really only net
better for the 7 people who are involved in the finals and even that is a
subjective claim since all of those people are far more tired than they
typically would be on elim day since day 2 was so much longer than usual.

This should not be read as an argument in favor of 8 round tournaments. My
position is clearly that as a community we need to assess how much stress
we are putting on our students and ourselves and I think that short of
placing substantial limits on decision making time the only workable
solution is the 6 round tournament. I agree with Ralph that switching to 6
rounds at makes it more likely that points will determine who clears and
who does not and that experimenting with a 100 point scale while
shortening tournaments and increasing the importance of points doesn't
make sense.

I do think that this is an issue we need to confront as a community and
discuss. If anyone is interested I have a really good frontline in favor
of 6 round tournaments, but I wanted to focus on what I feel are the
problems with 7 rounds in this post.

Greg