[eDebate] On 7 Round Tournaments

Katherine Lavelle lenehan20
Mon Oct 19 19:16:24 CDT 2009

For UNI, we have a few reasons for the 8 round tournament:
1. For many of the competitors, it's their first tournament of the year. If you can get 8 rounds in at the first tournament, it's a good jump start on the year of competition. I guess that supports Kevin's argument that since most teams won't be in the elim rounds, we wanted to offer the most competition to the most students. 2. It allows us to have a novice workshop, as well as 6 full rounds of prelims for our new debaters. 3. As many of you know, UNI isn't close to much else besides corn. Iowa is the closest school, and beyond that, most people are putting in a 6-8 hour drive to reach our tournament. Based on some conversations I had with coaches during the tournament, if we were going to move to a 6 round format, it would not make the tournament worth the drive.  We can't get into most of our classrooms until after 4 on Friday, and given the drive, it would be hard to expect schools to take all of Thursday off to do the drive.4. We had lunch on campus on Sunday afternoon, which allowed us to shorten the time between round 6-7 since everyone was on campus.
For us, we actually added 15 minutes in between each round because it was the first tournament of the year, there is some lag time getting between two of our competition buildings, and we found that on Sunday night, our tournament ended around 8:30pm, which is about the same time that it ended last year on Sunday with a tighter schedule. We had four elims and awards on Monday, and our open finals ended around 8:30 or 9 on Monday. We are pretty vigilant about getting rounds started on time, as well as getting ballots, maybe that helps?
I agree that we are probably away from the days that each tournament is 8 rounds, but I think having some 8 round tournaments is good practice, and is also helpful for students trying to make sure that have varsity eligibility for the NDT.
kll
Katherine L. Lavelle

Director of Forensics
University of Northern Iowa

You must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Don't be resigned to that. Break out! ? Mr. Keating, Tom Schulman Dead Poets Society

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/