[eDebate] On 7 Round Tournaments

Stefan Bauschard stefan.bauschard
Mon Oct 19 20:18:23 CDT 2009

I don't necessarily think that 8 rounds is a response to a by-gone era were
we could run all the doubles on Monday and be done by 7pm.

In fact, I remember the time (probably about 7-8 years ago) when GSU and KY
transitioned from octos to doubles in response to the growing number of
teams entered in the tournaments.  It is quite clear in my mind because they
had meetings about this on day 2, asked people to offer up hotel rooms for
the extra rounds on Monday, etc.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that for a long time only Wake,  NW, and UNI (which
was the large season opener at the time) cleared to a field of 32 that was
expected to run/finish all the elims in one day.   Perhaps some of those
nights were quite late, but everyone survived.  If my memory serves me
correctly, the tournaments would end around 1 am, not 4am.  4am finishes are
what triggered the revolt and that is fair.

With tournaments becoming even larger, clearing to doubles is no longer a
debate.  Debates are late (now very late (4am)), so we try to cut things on
the other send -- sustain the doubles and cut the prelims.

Is this a good idea?

I agree that 7 is bad.  I didn't make GSU ,but thought it was odd that no
one was complaining when they were leaving the building at 11pm on Sunday --
far later than I ever left GSU on a Sunday.  In this world, most tournament
participants have a very late evening, whereas in the Monday doubles world
it is only those who are in the late elims that have to stay up very late.

I do see two big problems with 6:

(a) As discussed, two fewer debates, so point variance on the 100 scale is
more problematic;
(b) No H-H.  H-Ls are pretty good for seeding, but as Scotty P pointed out,
they stink for having better"/equivalent" debates in the prelims.  If a
tournament with 140 teams has only 6 rounds, and all the rounds are H-L (I
don't see a good arg for a H-H in a 6 round tournament), then all the
debates except those int eh middle of the H-L will be mis-matches, with both
sides gaining a lot less from the experience.  At least with 8 rounds you
can have a H-H and the variation in the H-L starts to dissipate in rounds 7
and 8.

So, I think 8 is certainly better than 7 (no real gain) and better than 6.
I also think 4 am stinks (though I don't think 1am is so bad) .  So, what's
the solution -- eliminate the culprits.

The culprits are pretty easily identified -- decisions that take way too
long and there is too much pre-round prep.

Pre-round prep should be cut to 30 minutes -- fewer teams have to move
significant numbers of tubs, scouting information is widespread and advanced
preparation is easier, elim brackets are released the night before so you
can project who you are debating and you can start preparing for the next
debate as soon as your debate is finished,

Post-round decision time should be cut to 45 minutes in prelims and an hour
in elims. Perhaps this is too radical, but paperless evidence can be looked
at much faster in a debate because it's all on one document and deciding
debates shouldn't REQUIRE an hour more than the debate itself. In a world of
"inifnite prep,"I guess I don't care how long people take, but in a world
where taking 2.5 hours to decide a debate is resulting in significantly
fewer debates then it stinks. There is some marginal gains as some decisions
start to approach "perfection," but I don't think it's worth it if it is
causing a lot of debates to get cut.

And, does the extra time make decisions that much better?  Are there fewer
2-1 and 3-2 decisions because people now take more time to figure out what
"actually" happened?  At the very least, it's much easier to quantify the
educational loss of two debates than the competitive perfection of 5
additional hours of decision time across 5 debates on Monday.

Finally, I do think that a lot of the complaining about late Monday nights
has been given too much credibility --

(A) As pointed out, it impacts few people.  The debaters it impacts get to
be the champions of the tournament and are considered for the Copeland -- a
trophy given to the very best debate team in America.  The judges it impacts
are usually either people who volunteer/want to judge the debate, or are
people who usually could have taken a good nap before the debate started.
And how many prelims are these highly preferred judges who are judging the
finalsof the majors judging?  Certainly no more half, and often just 1 or 2.

(B) No solvency for sickness -- Many people stay up until all hours of the
night at these tournaments, regardless as to whether or not they are
debating or judging. Maybe 1 of the 7 people involved in the final round
would get a couple hours more sleep if we don't have a late Monday elim.  We
are eliminating 50+ (7 rounds) or 100+ (6 rounds) debates for this? 99% of
the people who don't get enough sleep (6-7 hours) at debate tournaments stay
up very late socializing and/or cutting cards till all hours of the morning.

(C) Really?  Debaters who participate in late elims are incredibly ambitious
and competitive people.  Once their debate ends many will spend many late
nights in the law firm or starting their own businesses.  Their lack of
sleep in these situations will be insignificant compared to the number of
times they were up late debating in a late elim at a major.

I do think we all agree that we only have 3 days to hold a tournament, so --

a) What's a reasonable amount of decision-making time?
b) How late are most people willing to stay on the prelim days?
c) How late is way too late for a final round to be held?
d) What's the educational gain of two more debates for 200 more people (100
2 person teams)?
d) Is it better to have more rounds or longer decisions?

 -- Do longer decisions make the decisions better?
 -- Are longer decisions more educational?

Personally, I just find eliminating a bunch of prelims a high price to pay
for decisions that take 2.5 hours instead of one hour.

--
Stefan Bauschard

President & Co-Founder, PlanetDebate.com
Debate Coach, Harvard Debate
Director of Debate, Lakeland Schools
Director of Development & Operations, NFL National Tournament 2011

(c) 781-775-0433
(fx) 617-588-0283