[eDebate] 2009 Franklin R. Shirley Classic Invitation

JP Lacy lacyjp
Mon Sep 28 21:16:09 CDT 2009

The Shirley is my favorite tournament of all time. To me, it's at least
as important as any family holiday. This year is especially important,
as we'll be remembering the person who taught me almost everything I
know about debate, Ross Smith. I'll hope you'll be able to join us for
what looks to be a fantastic weekend of debating, socializing &
remembering! As usual, the invitation is subject to reasonable changes.

Debateresults should be open for entries if I did everything correctly

-- JP Lacy
lacyjp at wfu.edu

*2009 Shirley Invitation Basics*

Intercollegiate policy debate programs are invited to enter two teams in
the 2009 Franklin R. Shirley Classic, November 21-23, 2009, hosted by
Wake Forest University. Schools may enter more than two teams subject to
the conditions listed below.

This year's Shirley will be held in concurrence with a Remembrance
commemorating the life and career of Ross Kennedy Smith, which take
place Saturday evening, November 21st.

*New This Year*

6 Prelims. (Not completely new.) 3 prelims followed by the Ross
Remembrance Saturday. 3 prelims, & first elim Sunday. 4 elims Monday.
*
Ross Kennedy Smith Remembrance*

We are planning a Remembrance to commemorate the life and career of Ross
Smith, Wake Forest's long time Debate Coach & Director of Debate, on
Saturday, November 21st. All family, friends, alumni & the debate
community are invited. A reception featuring light appetizers and
refreshments will begin at 6 pm with the main program beginning at 7 pm.
A gathering of friends will follow at 10 pm at the Winston-Salem Marriott.

*Same As Always*

1. Friendly, efficient & fun.

2. Entry process & qualifications.

3. Hospitality. There will be coffee, bagels & Krispy Kreme. There will
be a Survivor's Party Monday night.

4. Scouting.

5. Frosh/Soph breakout. Any team where both partners have not completed
two full years of college policy debate is eligible. We will clear at
least to quarters.

6. Strict time limits for judge decisions in elims as well as prelims.
Time allotted for post round discussion. We run on time.

*Entries*

Entries of two teams per school will be accepted until midnight October
28 on a first come, first served basis until we have reached our 150
team limit (this limit is necessary due to classroom and other facility
limitations).

Schools may apply for more teams by adding them to the waitlist subject
to the following:
As space permits, we will take additional teams, up to a total of four
teams per school, as long as ALL THREE OR FOUR teams have cleared to
elims in TWO varsity tournaments this fall. If both debaters on the team
EITHER cleared twice this fall OR qualified for NDT in the past OR
reached elimination rounds at CEDA Nationals in the past, the team is
considered to have met the "cleared twice" requirement. No fourth team
from a school will be accepted until all eligible third teams from other
schools have been accepted.

Waivers of the entry rules may be granted at the discretion of the WFU
coaching staff.

*Judging*

Each school must provide 3 rounds of prelim judging for each of their
first two teams and 4 rounds of judging for each additional team.

As a normative rule, all coaches are expected to make themselves
available for at least some judging and will be on the pref sheet.

If you are hiring judging from outside of your school's staff/alumni,
and the tournament cannot place your judges into the required number of
rounds, the tournament reserves the right to: 1) adjust the judging
obligations of your other judges (adding rounds of commitment to those
of your judges who are easier to place), and/or 2) charge your school
$30.00 per round of unmet obligation.

Prelim rounds must be decided within two hours and forty-five minutes of
the posted start time of the debate. The tab room will flip a coin to
determine the winner when the judge cannot decide in time.

Elim rounds must be decided within three hours of the posted/announced
start time of the debate. The tab room will flip a coin to determine the
winner when the judge cannot decide in time.

Judges must vote for one and only one team in each debate and must
assign speaker points and ranks in prelim rounds

Fifteen minutes minimum will be allocated to post round discussion of
the decision, but we must ask that the post-round cease 15 minutes after
the decision deadline so debaters can move on to their next debate with
adequate and fair time.

*Speaker Points*

A 100 point scale will be used. We'll share a graph showing the
distribution of points from last year.

*Caselist & Scouting*

Participating teams and schools are expected to contribute to
http://opencaselist.wikispaces.com and should provide their most recent
affirmative and negative information by the Tuesday before the
tournament at latest. Teams and schools should cooperate with Wake
Forest students and staff assigned to gather material.

*Audio & Video Recording*

All rounds (defined as the speeches and judge critiques) are open to the
public and may be electronically recorded for private educational use by
any tournament participants (registered coaches, debaters and helpers,
and Wake Forest tournament staff) only. Public distribution of such
recordings is expressly prohibited unless prior written consent of all
people on the recording is obtained and unless prior written consent of
Wake Forest University is obtained. Private sharing for educational use
is permitted.

*Tabulation & Pairing*

We will use an ordinal MPJ system run on STA. Rounds one and two preset.
The other 4 prelims individually power paired hi-low within brackets.
Top 32 teams clear on basis of adjusted points, opp wins, total points,
twice adjusted points, ranks, random number. Brackets broken in elims.
Side equalization procedure used for elims.

*Frosh/Soph Breakout*

Teams comprised of two debaters both of whom are still in their first or
second year of debate who do not clear into the doubles are eligible to
clear into the Frosh/Soph breakout. We will clear at least 8 teams.
Suggestions for a name for this division are more than appreciated.
*
Fees*

Tournament fees are $70.00 per person (debaters, coaches, judges,
scouts.) This is an increase from previous years necessary to maintain
the type of amenities we have provided in the past. We don't anticipate
any profit from the event.

*Tournament Hotel*

We are very excited to be back downtown this year. This is a great
property. Downtown eateries have experienced major growth recently, with
a good deal of late night options available.

The Winston-Salem Marriot, 425 North Cherry Street, Winston-Salem, NC
27101. 336 725 3500

Rate: $109.00 per night plus taxes and fees.

All elims will be held here.

Make reservations online at
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/intmc?groupCode=scdscda&app=resvlink&fromDate=11/19/09&toDate=11/24/09

The Sundance, 3050 University Parkway, Winston-Salem, NC 27105
(336-723-2911)

Rate: $??? per room per night plus taxes and fees

Includes wireless internet, parking, and continental breakfast daily.

*Rental Vans*

For vans of all sizes, ask for the Wake Forest Debate rate at Triangle,
http://www.trianglerentacar.com/

*Hospitality*

Krispy Kreme, coffee, juice, bagels in the mornings. Water, sodas,
aspirin, snacks throughout. Lunch on Saturday and Sunday. Food Sunday
night, plus the usual Survivors Party^(TM) on Monday night after the
start of the final round.

*Conduc*t

All participants debate at the invitation of Wake Forest University
according to its tournament rules as well as any rules of their
sponsoring institutions. We abide by all rules and norms of CEDA and the
AFA, including but not limited to CEDA's sexual harassment policy.

*Miscellaneous Important Stuff

*Topic: the 2009-2010 CEDA resolution,

Time limits: 9-3-6,

Judges should post their judge philosophy at debateresults.com,

Judges should be sure all conflicts of interest are noted at
debateresults.com,

*Schedule -- To follow*

Registration Friday 6-9 pm at the Marriott, round 1& 2 pairings released
at 9 pm.

Saturday: 3 prelims, followed by the Ross Remembrance event
Sunday: 3 prelims & 1st elim

Monday: 4 elims