[eDebate] The CSIS Debaters Who Blog

Tripp Rebrovick trebrovick
Wed Sep 9 19:13:54 CDT 2009

Paul's hit the nail on the head: to say that debaters aren't "qualified" is
a semi-veiled indict of the entire activity. What else did John and Chris,
and really, the rest of us, spend several years learning how to do, if not
learn how to think carefully and construct arguments to be released into the
public domain? We should *glad* that trained debaters are making their
arguments in public.
The issue, it seems to me, is not that John and Chris have done something
wrong, but that the way people interpret evidence has gone awry. It's only a
*problem* that the cards on the CSIS blog are "too good to be true" if
debaters and judges take the *mere existence* of a piece of evidence as
somehow making the claim of the card true.

Rather, if we treat evidence appropriately -- as just one factor among many
to be considered in evaluating an argument -- it doesn't matter how good a
card is, since its mere existence doesn't insulate it from rebuttal.
Authority matters, sure, but it's never a trump.